• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newbie's First Deuce - A gutsy Pick-up or Just Plan Stupid?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
VIN number locations vary like the weather. TMs that I've previewed don't seem to point out out where they are. Russ, you still have a good truck, just a little more searching and we should be able to get you squared away.

rsh253

Jason,

I can't tell you how good that is to hear. Warren, Fred's son, was great to deal with. Warren showed my wife & I Fred's model train collection and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It is by far the biggest collection I've ever seen. I was interesting in model railroading while growing up and would still be pursuing it if not for lack of time & money. Warren also said Fred had an extensive firearms collection. I would have liked to have known Fred since we have similar interests.

The brakes are exceptional. I try not to use them too much and rather rely on letting the deuce slow down under engine braking (without downshifting!); but I feel confident on being able to stop quickly, if necessay. I think I could bring the deuce to a stop in a shorter distance and with less effort than my '42 MB!

Can yoou confirm something for me? Warren checked the shop and found DOT 4 brake fluid. I wanted to make sure the brake fluid in the deuce is DOT 4 and not DOT 5 silicone.

I feel very fortunate to have Fred's truck, and I have been enjoying the heck out of it. It will be well taken care of.

Best Regards, russ

rsh253

Rebelpride,

Thanks! We just moved from the Seattle area and really like it here (Dan, We lived in Tigard for 27 years prior to moving to Seattle 4 yrs ago. Portland is a great place to live and we miss it.). I've noticed there are quite a few of us in the area. It would be fun to meet sometime for a mini-rally or convoy somewhere.

-Russ

halftrack

rsh253 said:
Jason,

Can yoou confirm something for me? Warren checked the shop and found DOT 4 brake fluid. I wanted to make sure the brake fluid in the deuce is DOT 4 and not DOT 5 silicone.

Best Regards, russ
DOT 5 WAS NOT USED! The entire system was flushed out and silicon fluid was not used. Way too expensive and there just was no need for it. I should of posted that in the truck, however, I didn't expect Fred to leave us yet. You can now just use readily avaliable brake fluid like DOT 3 or 4.

rsh253

Folks,

I gave the frame number to CARNAC (aka medlog) and asked him what he could tell me about the truck. As it turned out, a lot!: :jumpin: :jumpin:

Using your frame as a reference:
Organization: 812TH MEDICAL CO
Nomenclature:TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T Model:M35A2 NSN:2320000771616
Serial Number:32520912 Registration Number:4H58669 Year of Mfg:1969
Manufacturer:65909 Usage Miles: 31740
As of July 97 when it was sent to HHC, 204 Area Support Group in Jackson, LA. That unit inactivated around 1998 and there is no further record of where the truck went after that.
Kenny, and everyone, thanks for all your help. This has been interesting and fun! rofl

-Russ

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just bought a Duece from a individual I thought I had a long hard drive. Nashville Tenn To Reidsville N.C. 477 miles. Got to within 70 miles of home and had a flat on the R front; 1/4 mile from a rest stop. Had to go into Clemmons N.C. to buy another jack, mine was too short. Almost 16 hours including the pit stop.
Give us a yell

Neil

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Russ, glad to help. The winch is a newer design so I doubt it came off the Utica Bend. Neil, Keep a couple of cuts of 4x4 in the tool box of the deuce. With these any bottle jack of sufficient capacity will work. Drive the flat tire up on the 4x4 and then use the others to raise up the jack. The idea is the 4x4 lifts the flat tire up to about its aired up height.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen both in the mix for many years. I have stamped ones on my 53 Stude and I took a set of stamped ones off a 53 Reo. I'm not sure if it was delineated by a year or a specific mfr. Good question Gene.

rsh253

It is an addiction. I really enjoy driving the thing. I even drove it this past weekend during a very hot afternoon, it was over 100. It wasn't too hot as long as you were moving. But when stopped, it got hot in the cab fast.

I can't say enough how helpful this site and the folks on it are. I was able to change a leaking real axle seal after reading several posts. Right now, I'm trying to figure out why my turn signal decide to stop working. After doing several searches, the first thing I looked for was a bad ground. That wasn't it, so I'm checking further.

One thing I've found is I have a tendency to "over-drive" the MB after drivng the duece. I pull on the steering wheel too hard and over-steer, and really jam the transmission into gear. After a minute or two I finally settle down and start driving it right.

-Russ

Norseland

Hey thats awesome you made it, sorry I'm late on this one but congrats! I gotta say I felt the same about my trip, I got there and I was still feeling like " I gotta go somewhere!"

john

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks