• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newby intertested in the Deuce

urbs87

Hey guys I'm new to this site but I am very interested in the deuce. I've been reading a lot of the posts that are out there with information on the different trucks. Not being a military man myself some of the lingo is difficult to follow but I think I am starting to pick it up. Anyways I have a couple of questions I was hoping you guys could answer for me. First do you need a CDL to drive one of these trucks on the road legally? (I’m in Michigan if that helps) Second question what if anything should you try to stay away from in terms of equipment or set up? What I am thinking is there any of the styles that are more popular and easier for a beginner? Thanks guys for all your help.

Matt

DanMartin

RE: Newby intertested in the Duece

How old are you Matt?

What kind of driving experience do you have?

Are you good with tools? (Mechanical skills)

What kind of budget do you have for this addiction ^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h hobby?

These answers might help us to help you find the right military vehicle...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

What I am thinking is there any of the styles that are more popular and easier for a beginner?
What you whant to find is an M35A2T, the T stands for training-wheels! They have rubber bumpers too! Welcome to the site! :lol:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Welcome to the site Matt. You may want to use the search function and see if you can get answers as well.

Oh yeah, if you ever post a message that should have pictures be prepared......

:)

aboonski

Welcome to the site Matt!

Well Matt, the Deuce is a great military vehicle to own and operate but it comes with much responsibility. I hope you are a conditioned mechanic because the maintenance on one of these is prety demanding depending on the miles you put on the truck and the miles it had on it when it came from DRMO. If you do buy an M35A2 you will find yourself spending hours on Ebay, searching for any and all parts that will fit your truck. I was obsessed with buying every spare part that I could get my hands on and there just isn't enough money in my lifetime to obtain everything that I thought I would need. Try and figure out what you plan to do with the truck and maybe you will want one with drop-sides (M35A2C) or one that you can set poles with, etc. I would suggest a winch on the front - everyone wants a winch and it is an expensive upgrade if you buy a truck without one. Ever drive one of these things Matt? Find one with power steering! Parking a deuce without power steering can be a challenge for sure! Read up on military electrical systems which are primarily 24 volt - they don't make too many aftermarket electrical accessories for 24 volt systems but you can install a 24 to 12 volt converter for that CD player or stereo system that you will want for those long drives to SS functions. Get to know someone that has a Deuce and take a drive in one. If you like the sound of a whistler turbo you can convert a non-whistler 'D' turbo to a singing 'C' turbo without too much difficulty. I'll leave you with a photo of the day that I had my first ride in a Deuce-and-a-Half which was when I had the desire to own one. Best of luck when you obtain your truck in the future!

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I found out I wanted a deuce I had never sat in one untill about a week before I bought one. I had never driven one further than a parking lot before I owned one. I've been around heavy equipment all my life so that kind of gave me a leg up on most newbies ( a deuce is acually small compared to what I'm used to running and working on).

The military trucks do seem kind of odd in some ways compared to civilan trucks till you get used to them. My dad used to always say before I bought my first deuce " you don't want any of that military stuff. It's backwards from everything else." He just didn't understand them because he was used to running civilan trucks.

Just do your homework on this site and you probally shouldn't do like I did on my first truck. Find someone with a truck like you want in your area and crawl all over it and take it for a spin to make sure it's really what you want.

Also make sure if you live in town the are no resrictions about a big green truck sitting in your driveway. There seems to be alot of problems with that around here lately.

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest you buy about 5 of them, pick the one you like best and drive that one but keep the rest...they are just cool as hell to own (that's what I did :D ). Plus the one thing I've learned on this site-even though nobody has actually said it- is that whoever has the most deuces wins!

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Matt listen to these guys, Every body wants to help. I`ve just gotten one and have alot to learn. This site is a really good site
Neil

urbs87

I just want to thank everyone for your advice even the training wheel advice. I will try to answer the questions that you guys posted to see if that help with more information. I have very limited experience driving large trucks. I understand the need of power steering for sure. I once drove a 45 Mack pumper with out power steering or power brakes and that was a trip. As for my mechanical skills I like to say I am good with a wrench. I graduated a few years ago with an automotive service degree and have done some fun projects since. I have built up some trucks and done engine swaps, axle swaps and I am currently doing a frame off restoration of a 79 Bronco. I am in my late 20's and I am looking to get a larger truck. A Bronco on 40 inch tires is starting to look small to me. My budget is probably just like many of yours. Your ideas and goals do not always match your bank account. I am going to continue to look through this site for more information and try to find some one in my area that I can check out their truck. Again thanks for all that advice even if it was a little bit sarcastic.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
urbs87 said:
Again thanks for all that advice even if it was a little bit sarcastic.
After you are around here a while you'll learn that some (including me :wink: ) like to "carry on" a little bit. We don't mean anything by it :D .

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Matt,

Definitely hang out on this site and read, read, read. I spent about a year studying and understanding deuces before I bought one. If you're mech. enclined and like BIG trucks, you'll be fine. I did my homework and now have a great truck. Don't get me wrong, they do need upkeep, but well worth it for the thrill.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks