• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newby with the fever

Whitfield

( 8 ) new glow plugs installed.

Repaired missing charge wire from pass alt to rear battery buss. SOmeone had the charge wire run inside to the arear where the dash battery gauge is. :cookoo:

Much of the interior stuff did not work because the black out light switch was blacking them out :whistle:

Headlight feed wire to 12v terminal on firewall (then on to fuse box) was not bolted to the 12v supply lug at fuseable link.

Headlight harness is cut up... I have one right front park lamp, 2 tail / brake, and one reverse.

Guess i'll be studying headlight harnesses tonight.

Update:
3 Headlight harness feed wires were cut @ coolant resevoir.
Lft Parking light socket was MIA
Female Headlight plug clips needed lots of cleaning.

Looks ike I might be down to just bulbs
(1) headlight
(2) marker lights
(1) back up light.

.http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/27922-wheres-your-license-plate.html

Last edited:

Whitfield

My M1008 stops traffic ~ Hahaa...

At first I thought it was one of teh retired neighbors stopping to complain about my latest eye sore. But this gentalman was wearing a MVPA 3 button shirt. He said he was just driving by and saw me under the hood and could not resist stopping. Lots of M1008 history and local contact too. This guy was a walking library of Green iron.

Checking his website ~ Turns out he is former president of the MVPA Lee Holland and runs his own Green iron museum.

About Me - The Motor Pool, Chester, VA

His meticulously restored vehicles include:
_ a 1942 Willys-Overland 1/4-ton truck -- the original Army "jeep"
_ a 1942 Dodge command car
_ a 1941 GMC 2 1/2-ton truck
_ a 1942 Dodge 3/4-ton carryall
_ a 1943 Checker Cab 1-ton trailer
_ and a 1943 American Bantam Car Co. 1/4-ton trail

He was excited to see the chalk marks on the door of the truck and was deciphering them for me. Unfortunatly it was all too much for me to take in at one time.

Attachments

Whitfield

Glow Plug Controler from CUCV electric is in. This card is a work of art! Well worth the wait...

Next up:

Dash lights / Dash pad / Fuel gauge.
Align fenders and doors.

Whitfield

Big thanks to John with PATRACY's group @ Military off road tires.

(4) 37X12.50-16.5 BFGoodrich BAJA TA's on the way.

Customer #W13199XXXX Franchise #170084540
MILITARY OFFROAD TIRES
420 HIGHWAY 53 E STE 500

DAWSONVILLE, GA 30534

Freight Shipment #304XXXX from login: militaryoff.

Freight Carrier: Central Transport

Pickup Date: 11/16/2012

Sender:
MILITARY OFFROAD TIRES
420 HIGHWAY 53 E STE 500
DAWSONVILLE, GA 30534

Might have even scored a set of period correct Aluminum 16.5x10 Hurricanes. Powder coated with a bronze / brown they should turn out nice. Now to chase down some lug nuts.

hurricane wheel.jpg

Whitfield

Ordered my Tuff Country HD front springs for $170 off of retail with free shipping. Surprised that the redneck drag racing /hot rod performance catalog company carried them. Free shipping was a cool turkey day holiday shopping perk /bonus.

Still waiting on tires... Maybe Monday or Tuesday.

**** Lift spring Update ~ 11/29
Turns out that deal was for ONE SPRINGS... Yep, they tried to call the individual leaves springs. Rather then argue I just asked them try and price match so I could get my set and get on my way. Then the sales guy wanted to say that it was an apples to oranges comparison. They are selling TWO we are only selling one. I reminded him again I just want to fix the problem and that I'm giving him the opportunity sell me the missing spring. Suddenly it was like a light switch went off and everything changed. He gladly sold me the second spring for a fair price and comped ship / handling.

Again I find myself chasing my tail wasting time and $$$.

Last edited:

Viper350

I swear I saw your truck setting in our parking lot at work today (CAP). Lifting these body style trucks is so easy. Never buy any lift kits or springs for these. My friend and I used stuff from out of our lot at work to lift his square body 14" and mine 11" all suspension. I can't stand body lifts. If your looking at a shackle flip you can do it to your stock shackles in about 30 minutes and save a couple hundred dollars. The pic is of my K5 before we swapped in the dana 60 up front and the dana 70 in the rear. I know it's not a MV but they're from the same family. :D

.Picture 010.jpg

Last edited:

Whitfield

That was me! Thanks for posting up. That is a clean K5
Since I sold my 97 Acura TL I'm now daily driving the Diesel.

What do you recommend for the rear?

For front I have a set of Front Tuff country HD 4" springs on the way and I'm looking at the 1" zero rates to offset/center the front wheel. Have not decided on the rear lift yet. I was eyeing that 2wd 2500 VDOT truck's rear spring pack. I'm not excited about the thick as a brick stock CUCV rear springs. The flip (while effective) is about = to an 8" shackle on that same BRICK rear pack / with little regard for pinion angle ~ which doesn't excite me either.

My 37" military tires are delayed until next shipment arrives so I have a few days to think about it.

Last edited:

Viper350

All of the flips that I've done with the stock parts only gives it about 3-4" plus it rotates the pinion up a little bit. It does require a torch and a welder though. The hardest part is just getting the shackle bolts out.

Whitfield

I'll have to take a closer look at flipping the stock rear shackle mounts. Torch and welder are always at the ready. That might be just enough to get me by until I can figure out which rear springs I want to run long term. Carrying 2500 lbs in the bed is not on my to do list. I'm thinking the newer longer springs are going to give a little more travel and hopefully a little softer rate.

Viper350

The springs off the 99 and up trucks are longer and are supposed to give both a little bit of lift and a smoother ride. As far as the flip goes all you need to do is blow out the bottom of the the perch and flip the shackles. I usually weld a piece of angle over the top for support. Here is a pick of it done on a 1/2 ton suburban here at work. The guy just never did anything to support the top. Sorry for the pic quality, it was taken on a cell phone.

Picture.jpg

Whitfield

I have not done a good job on chronicling the dash issue. Thus far it has been the white elephant in the living room ~ Riding around 3 weeks now with NO dash pad.

I'll attach a few pictures but I can not get the issues I face (Bent dash shell) to show on camera very well.

Back story: My truck hit something (while on duty) hard enough to bend the steering wheel, bend the metal behind the dash, and twist up the radiator support, bumper and brush guard. I also have a NEW steering box and a NEW windshield that were installed by prior to auction. This accident bent the metal backing of my stock dash pad and the sheet metal shell which the cluster fits inside / around. Frame / headlights / hood are all straight (though hood could have also been replaced).

Also I'm not sure I fully have my head wraped around the fitment of the dash pad. Finding a good (not wrecked not bent) dash in the truck yesterday that I could remove and install gave me better perspective, I think that I may be able to reshape and fit a stock dash back onto my shell. I have a clean OE suburban dash pad I've been saving for 10yrs ~ It's about time to dig it out of storage.

Meanwhile I've been focused on the mechanical:
Cold Start
Heater controls
Fuel Gauge
Door hinge pins
Headlights again
Steering box

Still on the to do are:
Alt 2 blinking
Fuel leak around fill hose / tank connection @ fill up.
Check front cross member bolts replace a few that are missing.
Left exhaust manifold doughnut gasket.
Class III Hitch
Research (what / where) Hanger for Glow Plug controller

1103120955.jpg1103120934.jpg.

Whitfield

Thanks for the pic & details Viper~ That picture about says it all. I think that will work.

I'm seriously considering late model 3/4 ton rear springs and rework / replace the front and rear hangers. I did a similar swap with 2002 1/2ton Chev 2wd rear springs on a 99 Tacoma TRD last year.

Whitfield

Picked up my 37" BFG Baja TA Military tires today. The inside of the tires are coated with a super sticky black tar like subatance. I'm not sure if this was a military spec sealant or if this was added after they were removed. The stuff is still liquid enough to drool out of the tires. It reminds me of the old INDIAN Head brand "Form a Gasket". Sticky as heck and one spot outside of the tire will multiply 1000 times and be on everything you have walked with in 100 yards of.

This also puts a damper on the 10 pounds of Polly Pellets I bought to use for internal tire balancing.