• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

newer deuce

AMX

I wanted opinions on possible advantages to m35's made during the later contract years, I know so many parts on a vehicle can deteriorate simply from age. I also realize that the military has done a lot of refurbishments on their vehicles. I know some of you here must have experience with a wide range of m35's both refurbed and original. Opinions?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There is absolutely nothing about them that is better with 2 (possible) exceptions:

1. There are three years (86-88? 87-89?) that have dual circuit brakes if it is a USAF truck. The brakes don't work any better, they are just slightly safer in that it's a dual circuit system. Good luck finding parts for the system, though.

2. Technically, they are about 20 years newer than the average deuce, but with the frequency the military rebuilds trucks, I wouldn't bet on it being any nicer. clintogf has a 1985 USAF truck and her '69 Deuce is ten times nicer. A 40 year old truck that was rebuilt 5 years ago is going to be a better truck than a 25 year old truck that's never been rebuilt.

I am going to say something unpopular-up to a couple of years ago, these "late model" trucks were not considered to be anything special. And all of a sudden, a bunch of threads came up about them and it whipped up a frenzy around them and in my honest opinion, the people who own them did this in order to drive up the value of their vehicles.

I wouldn't pay a dime more for an '88 than a '68. Condition is key, not year.

Last edited:

mcmullag

I had a 1970 M35a2 that came out of refurb in 1987, was a NE national guard truck. Now I have a 1987 M35a2c that appears to have only 14,400 original miles on it, local air force truck. Both were built by AM General. The later truck has a dual air pack brake system as opposed to single air pack system. The data plates are not all faded out on this newer truck. Other than what I mentioned, the two trucks seem almost exactly the same to me. Pics of the new to me truck, before and after I replaced tires and repainted. I agree with Clinto's comments. This newer to me truck has a winch and the older truck was winchless. I wanted the winch truck just cuz it looks cool.

Attachments

Last edited:

AMX

I had thought perhaps newer manufacturing techniques or a change in materials would have improved the newer models. I guess with a military contract there is no incentive to improve the product.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The later trucks had some type of rust pre-coating. I don't see the value of it, I've had plenty of rusty rust-proofed trucks.

Lex_Ordo

The trucks were pretty much perfected from the get go, and there was no reason to re-design. My 1971 A2, could be mistaken for a much later truck simply because it had a lot of new parts (replaced), and the motor was re-built in 1986.

The fact that mine is a '71 is what drew my attention b/c that's the year I was born.

jimmcld

I think ya'll are overlooking a large difference between the newer and older trucks: The newer they are, the fewer times some private has had the opertunity to work on it.

The biggest problems I have had with the older trucks is that someone else has worked on them first. If anything can be done the wrong way, the military will find that way to do it, and it is a real pain to find the problem when everything has been assembled incorrectly.

Katahdin

I had thought perhaps newer manufacturing techniques or a change in materials would have improved the newer models. I guess with a military contract there is no incentive to improve the product.
I have noticed an evolution in parts, so to speak, working on my 66, which was refurbed in 85 and is a mix of old and new parts. Some observations:

• Replacement Battery Box is plastic instead of metal (no rust)
  • Late production starter is different then my 71 rebuild, maybe reliability improved?
  • Newer Radiator drains toward the front instead of back towards axle, that should make draining it easier.
  • Replacement AGM batteries instead of wet, one of the AGMs came with a bad cell tho.
  • Newer Fuel Pump is riveted together, less prone to failure

kennys@wi.rr.com

The later trucks had some type of rust pre-coating. I don't see the value of it, I've had plenty of rusty rust-proofed trucks.
When I picked up my 71 Deuce it had new fenders on it and those fenders were coated with the rust proof stuff. I believe it's the one thing there is that CARC will not stick to. All of the paint on those parts flaked right off, very easy to prep for paint.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One more consideration that is floating around in another thread is the lack of a 17 character VIN number. This may cause registration issues in some states.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks