• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newest CUCV equivalent?

edpdx

I love driving... and servicing, my M1009, but I got to thinking, as I was addressing a probable water pump leak, what's next? If the US military is phasing out the HumVee, in favor of MRAPs and such, what is the next civilized (streetable) size of military SUV we'll get, if ever? On the globale market there are some fine looking rides, but they tend to run large, and they may not be importable, to make things more difficult. What vehicles would make your list?

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Maybe... The Infantry Squad Vehicle (ISV) is based on the 2020 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 pickup/ uses 90% commercial components.

But it will be a long long long time from now.

Bigbondo007

I'd like to know as well. All I can add is my JKU Rubicon with disconnects, lockers, 4.88s,a 4.5" lift and 35 ko2s did extremely well in Moab. It was my daily driver as well. Idk if I'd push the m1028 as hard as I did the fiat jeep. Probably gonna catch hell for that but oh well, it is what it is

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe... The Infantry Squad Vehicle (ISV) is based on the 2020 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 pickup/ uses 90% commercial components.

But it will be a long long long time from now.

OMG this is a stunning vehicle, FINALLY something good looking after these silly looking designs from Oshkosh and the ITV. Put me down for the first one out from GovP.

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After the CUCV series there was the CUCVII which ran from around 1996-2001ish. GM Defense made them and made every model CUCVII that was equivalent to the regular CUCV. I own/owned 3 CUCVII Tahoe models and love them. FMVSS compliant (no state registration issues), AC, overdrive, and surround sound. All of that came stock.

There were CUCVIII models that lasted for a very short window of time after the GMT400 style ended, but was subsequently replaced by LSSVs which are still produced today.

The issue you and everyone else will run into is actually finding one of the vehicles I mentioned. It took me years to find my CUCVIIs. The reason is because of production numbers. Around 80,000 CUCVs were produced whereas around 800 CUCV II vehicles were purchased by the US military for continental US use, and around 3,000 CUCVIIs went overseas. But all that said, around 3 or 5 will pop up for sale every year.

tahoe.jpgcrew cab.jpg128351033_898381837365600_8619066233514415607_n.jpg

LSSVs are interesting because they've been produced for around 15 years with very few released to the public. Most all that are in private hands came from state or county level surplus auctions. The intention of an LSSV is different than the original CUCV, and combined with the low production numbers, that is why few have been released. I do not know how many have been produced, but if you average the numbers from the last three years budget from the US Navy it comes to about 70 per year, so around 1,000 have been produced.

lssvbudget.jpg

The original CUCVs were designed as placeholders until the HMMWV came into full production and were subsequently surplused afterwards. The LSSV was designed from the beginning to be used in supportive roles and was planned for long term use. That is why most that have been surplused from the federal level to companies like GovPlanet are in terrible condition; they were used until "beyond economical retention."

...what is the next civilized (streetable) size of military SUV we'll get, if ever?
Probably none. Unless some new military support vehicle comes out in a large volume like the CUCV, you will never see anything comparable again.

edpdx

There is a member here who has 3 (IIRC) CUCV IIs and an LSSV. He might be why few others can get them.
I think if I see something rare, I’d buy it on the spot. As rare as they are a profit is assured in a flip, or spare parts from the rig in least good repair could be a consideration. Can’t fault a guy for being in the right place at the right time.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love driving... and servicing, my M1009, but I got to thinking, as I was addressing a probable water pump leak, what's next? If the US military is phasing out the HumVee, in favor of MRAPs and such, what is the next civilized (streetable) size of military SUV we'll get, if ever? On the globale market there are some fine looking rides, but they tend to run large, and they may not be importable, to make things more difficult. What vehicles would make your list?

As of now the HUMVEE will stay in service for regular routine duties! The heavy Armored stuff will be for combat and first line units, and I'm sure staeside even those units still have Hummers in their fleet.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
The Military travels HEAVY. Wants to strike Fast.

Scout or Support? Strike or Maintane?

So what will the new CUCV parameters be? Front line service or secondary role? Or as the new Military wants is a one job fits all vehicle which in my thought is crazy insane but that is the new money saving bureaucracy that gets Service people killed.

They will bleed and pizz money all over the world then figure out what works then apply. The Service people doing the job know they must have many tools to do separate tasks.

There has to be a vehicle that will be versatile and take a front line Unit into harms way, and that is not a CUCV.

As a secondary role an intermediately protected vehicle will not be a CUCV. But a vehicle that can be forced into front line service as it must support or resupply a line unit.

As a third echelon vehicle a new HMMWV II that is 30% larger and can be pressed into a clear support vehicle. That is either up armoured, More HP or used as a rear area commuting vehicle.

Today's Military needs many tools to do many task's. With less Personel and more specialized equipment the Military's General Officers love expensive next generation fighting designs that require high-tech, no Personel in harms way. That is where the money goes and that needs to be done but they can not forget that foot Soldiers and Marines remain with the need of the latest equipment and protection in vehicles for the 21st century.

Reactions: D6T

1love

What are the odds I was googling "m1009 paint" and I found this forum and reading this thread at the same time HAHAHA.

special_ops.jpg

Skinny

Clearly someone in the transport department is on an illegal substance. That thing is hilarious! Has anyone ever seen a picture of ISIS? Surely our government thinks GM is the equivalent to Toyota in the combat department.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks