• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newly Bobbed M818 Back Working for the Man

Pappa-G

I just finished putting on all the stencils and markings with the kit I got from 67Beast (Top Quality and Great Price!). I will try and get some better pics up.:-D

DanielP

I love this thread!!! What an awesome project. This is in fact my dream project, and I am green with envy.

Can you tell me, in bobbed configuration and with those tires, what fuel economy do you get on the highway?

And how do you compare the performance of this 818 in snow on a paved road compared to a regular 4x4 pickup?

Thanks in advance for the answers!!

DanielP

Also, I am looking at the pics of your frame. Did you have to shorten the frame or did you leave it original length?

Pappa-G

I love this thread!!! What an awesome project. This is in fact my dream project, and I am green with envy.

Can you tell me, in bobbed configuration and with those tires, what fuel economy do you get on the highway?

And how do you compare the performance of this 818 in snow on a paved road compared to a regular 4x4 pickup?

Thanks in advance for the answers!!
Aroung 6MPG depending on how fast you run it. I haven't had it on snow...yet. as far as compared to a regular pickup? Think of a mid '60s' one ton with big balloon tires.

The frame is stock.

Last edited:

DanielP

Could you please tell me how you attached the new springs. Did you use the original hangers, riveted, welded?

Also, does this have a detroit locker in it?

Again, I am really impressed with this rig. :!::-D

Last edited:

Pappa-G

Could you please tell me how you attached the new springs. Did you use the original hangers, riveted, welded?

Also, does this have a detroit locker in it?

Again, I am really impressed with this rig. :!::-D
The springs use thier original hangers from the doner truck. They are bolted to the frame. From what I have read, welding to the frame will cause cracks. Get yourself a good bit sharpener its cheaper that new bits every 2 holes.
It has ARB's front and rear controlled in the cab:roll: yea right, I wish, Nah open differentials on both ends.

Pappa-G

Licensing isnt a problem in Michigan as we do not have annual vehical inspections. I ran it with historic plates so that saved some MAJOR cash too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks