• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Newly purchased m925

6wdcummins83

Just Purchased my first MV! second hand from GL, purchased from a man who has cancer and is selling off some of his trucks. I purchased a '83 M925 in flawless condition with 50k miles for 6k. this truck hasnt been run in who knows how long, it runs though. I was wondering if theres any "break in" procedures say a seafoam treatment, or injector cleaner treatment? anything i should look for or be on the look out for? Im looking forward to driving around!

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congratulations on the new truck.

Not knowing what the previous owner has done, I would at minimum go through the truck and change all fluids and filters.

I have also had a deuce that when changing out the front boots, I discovered all the bearings were greased and maintained except for the inner right side bearing. It was like they repacked the drivers side and then started the passengers side but quit half way and put it back together. Only way to know is to take it apart and look/regrease. Fully understanding that the work involved to do this on a 5 ton is a lot more (or heavier) work then on the deuce.

BTW, when I emptied the oil out of the transfer case I found a bearing cage that had been chewed up on it's way down. Thus even though it worked fine at that moment, with the bearing cage missing those bearings would have eventually came out as well and I could have been stuck on the side of the road with a big tow bill. This is the stuff that you find out when you change the fluids vs. topping them off.

I will defer to the other SMEs as far as seafoam and injector cleaner type treatments. I would suggest some type of diesel treatment to compensate for the low sulfur diesel that you get now vs. what was available when the truck was built.

There is also a maintenance schedule in the TMs, that would be a good place to start.

Newbie288

6wd, bill is good people, congrats on the truck. is it one of the tan ones he had? In any case, i would reccomend at a minimum you get yourself a good diesel mechanic thats familiar with the cummins. Luckily for you and me there is a Cummins dealer and shop in the city of newburgh. Forgive me i cant remember the name right now as i have not been there in awhile, but if you google cummins newburgh you will find it. I would spend the $$$ and have them go over the entire truck soup to nuts. For one, it is a 30yr old truck and with that much weight its just good sense to make sure it starts and stops when its supposed to :) . 2) having a cummins dealer mech go over it and be able to tell you what is and isnt wrong with it mechanically will give you peace of mind whenever you drive it. 3) i know a few guys who have taken their MV's there and had work done and they are straight shooters and a big help and are extremely well versed with the 250 and the 8.3's and have 95% of the parts you will need in stock. 4) even to register it as an antique in NY you gotta get a basic inspection done which they can do while they are replacing some of those 30 yr old hoses and brake lines :) Just my two cents and opinion, wish you the best with it and good luck! :)

61sleepercab

I would suggest you get a oil analysis kit from a big truck or heavy equipment dealer and have the engine and transmission oil tested. You can learn a lot by oil condition, bearing material , coolant and unburned fuel in the oil by testing. A test here costs $15.00. Mark

6wdcummins83

Bill is probably the coolest dude ive ever met. i bought one of his tan m925's so far ive driven it to a country music festival it runs awesome! ive already pulled down a 10'' diameter tree with the winch and driven it over some rough terrain its tons of fun and ill be able to haul a heck of alot of firewood. my neighbor is a state DOT mechanic him and i are gonna tear into it one day soon and check her over but its super strong and does about 60 mph on the nys thruway... its pretty cool getting looks from truckers!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks