• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NewM813 Owner Looking for Vehicle Security Tips

LOBO

I will be picking up my 1st MV (M813A2 and M105A2) in August. While in the Marines, all vehicles were parked in the motor pool with a guard on duty. Unfortunately my neighborhood doesn't have any security guards. The only security I can think of "locking" the vehicle is to disconnect the dog-bone and lock the battery box.

I have also locked both door handles and leave the windshield unlocked.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to secure a 5-Ton besides a kill switch?

Lobo USMC 1975 - 1996

Truckoholic

Once simple thing you can do that probably no thief would think to check, is to open the left side engine access door, and simply unscrew the big electrical plug that goes into the bottom of the Protection Control Box on the firewall. The black box there. With that unplugged, the truck will not respond to the on off switches, or the starter switch. I've used that technique a couple times in my M813 when leaving it places unattended to keep people from taking off in it.
One of my preferred things is to just wire an actual keyed ignition switch in place of the battery switch on the dash. It could still fairly easily be bypassed by someone that knew what they were doing, but would definitely stop your typical joy rider.

dezert ratt

People stealing something usually wont think to check the manual kill switch. I know on my truck when you pull the handle you have to open the hood and reset the lever on the ip.

Danl

Danl M915A1

on my truck I bunngy the air horn to the door works good untill the air leaks out . Once the air is gone out it takes time to build up and Kayce My Dog Has time to take controll oh Kayce has the green bug to you know

seano11

I use a stick and reach in from the rear sliding window then lock the doors and re close the window also leave the transfer case in neutral

LOBO

I was warned about locking the fuel cap down. Is their such thing for a 5-ton? Maybe an after market unit?

FormerNewMVGuy

I have a keyed cutoff switch in a hiddin place in the cab, on my M813A1 !
I got mine ,1000amp switch from jatonka on this site.

Just shut the switch off ,take the key out, and you know it isnt going anywhere.

ackcarus

i was testing which wire to cut on the power switch. i did not connect the wires back to the power switch but only the 2 on the swicth that tested (with meter) to one hot and the one that became hot when the switch was turned on. the truck had power but did not start (it also bad a BAD noise when i turned it over. I hook the wires back up to the power switch. the motor again turned over (without bad noise) but failed to start. testing showed that there was no power to fuel shutoff switch (mounted on the top off the fuel pump). Did i cook something because i did not have the other 2 wires hook up to the power switch or could i have hook the wires back up incorrectly?? if i run a hot lead to the pump shutoff value the motor will start and run..... what did I screw up...
thanks

JarheadMtn

I can't find the thread, but I welded up a metal box that clips over the top of the dash and covers the master switch and the ignition switch. A large pin with a hole for a lock holds it all in place. I also keep my registration and insurance papers inside the locked box. When I am driving the truck the dash is completely stock and the electical system is not changed at all. The pin is off of a 3 point hitch from a tractor.

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I was warned about locking the fuel cap down. Is their such thing for a 5-ton? Maybe an after market unit?
Take one of those spring joke snakes that are normally put in a can. Put one of those in there against the screen. They open the cap and that thing springs out, LOL, should scare the fecal matter out of them. Then you have the DNA.

ackcarus

im confused when i turn the power on the low air buzer comes on. could i have the 4 wires to the battery switch be in wrong? i could not fine a chart for the numbers (on wires) are in the correct hole. 1 of the 4 wires has lumps on the rubber insolator and the other 3 do not. 2 of the female holes on the switch have lumps 2 do not. i scanned my manuals and could not fine any reference to numbers or possition?

lost in the wires any one have ideas that i can try....

thanks

indy4x4fab

Banned
im confused when i turn the power on the low air buzer comes on. could i have the 4 wires to the battery switch be in wrong? i could not fine a chart for the numbers (on wires) are in the correct hole. 1 of the 4 wires has lumps on the rubber insolator and the other 3 do not. 2 of the female holes on the switch have lumps 2 do not. i scanned my manuals and could not fine any reference to numbers or possition?

lost in the wires any one have ideas that i can try....

thanks
If i remeber right the to plugs with bumps should be pairs together and the two smooth should be paired to gather, if nothing is happening you may need to swith ur to cold leads in the plug.

ackcarus

looking at the switch, handle in front plugs in back.
i have 1 wire with bumps 3 wire that are smooth
going clockwise starting from the first plug, just to the right of the switch alignment pin.

first plug with pumps wire 81 has bumps
second plug with bumps wire 54 has no bumps
third plug no bumps wire 54 has no bumps
fourth plug no bumps wire 459 has no bumps
the switch turns first plug power into fourth plug
second and third plug has no responce when switch is on or off

im beginning to thing that the protection control device is no longer working