• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC 250 civilian alternator size?

ke5eua

So I've been scouring through the searches on here trying to see what civilian alternator would bolt right in where the military one is and nothing solid. My searching skills must really suck.

I want to either change out completely the 24v to a 12v system or add a 12v alternator. Would prefer the ladder but can't seem to find ready kits to add a second alternator to the nhc 250.

I already have a battery equalizer and the second alternator would only be for high loads >200 amps on 12v. My big boy inverter will peak at 250 amps at full rated capacity, 350 if I hit surge capacity.

74M35A2

The military factory alternator mount is called a J-180 "long" or "swung" type mount (8" between double ears). It is mostly only used on bus engines in the US and Europe in the civilian market. I have brand new 145 amp 24V alternators that are direct bolt in and go for this mount. Also have a multitude of 12V alternators up to 200 amp options in both brush type and brushless. Same with starter motors, both 12V and 24V, new and used, all newer design using gear reduction, for all MD and HD engines.

There have been some good threads posted about the 12V and 24V Chinese Delco clone type alternators installed, those would be lower price than the units I have. Depends how much power you want to generate, and the reliability of which you desire to do so.

Send me a PM if you are interested in anything I have. If you swap over to a civilian NHC-250 alternator mount (cheap at truck salvage yard), which will likely be a J-180 "short" (4" between double ears), it should also give you a lot more options for lower cost and more reliable civilian stuff.

Last edited:

ke5eua

When I search for j-180 mount type alternators I come up with delco 20si, 35si, 21si, 22si, 24si, 28si, 33si and so on.

Biggest thing is if I convert completely to 12v I would need to have a minimum of 250 amp. If I could get a dual bracket and put a 10si style on it I would prefer that so much better.

I have toyed around with the option of going to a 12v conversion but that means I would have to add up-converters to be able to tow military trailers for the 24v lights. While that isn't really an issue I also loose the ability to slave off mv's.

74M35A2

The majority or all of those are going to be J-180 shorts. Most older MD and HD alternators are J-180 mount type, from most manufacturers, not just Delco. You can probably mount a short type alternator in a long type bracket, but I would use a grade 10.9 engine fastener when doing so.

I did just receive in a batch of about 4-5 brand new Leece Neville 350 amp 12V alternators (Google BLP4004H). These are 4 bolt pad mount and just released to the market. You'd have to upgrade or modify your bracket, but you would be able to weld with it.

ke5eua

I like simplicity in my life, lol

Oh the struggles of trying to do something easy. I'm more of an electrical engineering type guy rather than a metal fabricating type. I can turn a wrench, diagnose, and replace parts all day but building brackets just isn't my number one skill.

I'm already designing a computer to monitor everything on the engine and provide feedback, diagnosis, and fail safes, I just want something plug in play for once, lol

Might build a little pony motor apu for my inverter setup since that is what I mainly need the larger size alternator for anyway.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just put a civi generator on one of the fenders. Like a 6500W version.

It's been done.

infidel got me

Ke5uea there was a post a few weeks ago about a 12 volt replacement.

Spider marine is the supplier, alt. part # 21si-- serp. belt part # 208-12003 sku # 113377

alt. 109 bucks pulley 20 bucks and shipping 20 bucks , to where he lived.

It seemed like a simple install / no big fab. skills required. It is a delco alt, so it can easily be rebuilt in the future.

Again, this was posted by a fellow member, I just wrote it down in my little black book for later reference.

Hope this helps,

WILL

carlandedith

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I've been scouring through the searches on here trying to see what civilian alternator would bolt right in where the military one is and nothing solid. My searching skills must really suck.

I want to either change out completely the 24v to a 12v system or add a 12v alternator. Would prefer the ladder but can't seem to find ready kits to add a second alternator to the nhc 250.

I already have a battery equalizer and the second alternator would only be for high loads >200 amps on 12v. My big boy inverter will peak at 250 amps at full rated capacity, 350 if I hit surge capacity.
Hello,
I was wondering if you was able to find away to add a 12 volt alternator To Cummins 250.
I have a 12 volt 5000 watt inverter and I would like to add it to my truck.

74M35A2

I have a few 350 amp rated 12v alternators if somebody is really interested. That equates to 5,000 watts. They are modern 4 bolt pad mount, so would take some decent fabrication efforts to mount onto older engines, but, anything is possible if you want it bad enough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks