• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC 250 Commercial Applications

ke5eua

So I was wondering what the NHC 250 was used for in the commercial sector?

I would like to cross reference commercial parts and obviously need to know what it was used in. I've heard it was used in big rigs by Kenworth, just seeing if it actually was or anything else.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everything. That engine was one that American trucking evolved through. It reigned in the late 1960s. I'm sure everyone who was running 6-71 Jimmys or 180 Cummins were dying to upgrade to the blazing 250 hp this engine offered.

ke5eua

I guess that's good to an extent. I tried using the cummins online database to search the engine serial number and it didn't recognize the serial number. I guess I'm trying to see other ways the engine might have been configured since I am planning on putting more than parade miles on my 818.

If it was used in OTR applications, would it have been configured the same as in military applications, etc...

When in high school I worked for a man that had two 1966 ford twin screws one with a 250 with turbo the other with a 6-71 with out a turbo .The 250 pulled better . both had 4 speed main boxes and 4 speed auxillery behind it . They where old mine trucks before he had them he used them to haul logs to Durango .With no engine brake or front axle brakes both trucks had a barrel mounted behind the cab that was filled with water that used copper tubing that ran into each rear brake drum to cool the brakes when coming down the mountain that really made a stink .

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes sir this was a "bullet proof" eng for years, we have 2 new pre gl ones in 1 of our locos on the Niles canyon railway too.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a 1969 Loadstar IH with a NHC250 in it. It was a pretty common engine years ago but hasn't been put into a civilian truck in many,many years.

All the 855cid blocks were of the same basic design with some changes here and there but they basically all take the same footprint.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are still running a Freightliner with a 290 Cummins in it and it is my belief that is essentially a 250 with a turbo on it, and of course all are based on the 855 block! We had to go through the heads on the engine at 750K miles and a couple years ago did an inframe overhaul on the engine, that was at 966K miles, I also own a 925A2 and an M920 ALL these trucks run the 855 series block! They have been phased out for a long time now for OTR but in our applications they have proven to be one of the best engines I have ever had the pleasure to work with!
KK

sd39u

The NHC/Cummins 250 motor is called a Cummins 855 in the civilian market. It's a 855 cubic inch or 14.0 liter motor. It's almost as common as a Chevy big block 350. It's had lots of uses in the civilian market from trucking to farming. It's a good solid motor with a heck of a lot of torque!

Eric

Scott88M

The A2 actually has an 8.3 Cummins turbo diesel not a 250. Which is a popular marine motor or so I've been told. Love the sound of the 250 but i own an 8.3.

68hunter

My neighbor works in construction and when I brought my 923 home he looked at the engine and told me that he has ran draglines and lots of other heavy equipment over the years with the cummins 855 in them in both turbo and non turbo configurations. He said they were always worked great over the years and were relatively easy to work on

dollarhide

The reason why you can't find any info thru Cummins is because they use a cpl number for finding parts and info and the 250 Cummins (military version ) does not have a cpl number on the data tag makes it a big pain to locate parts another problem is most of the 855 Cummins family had different parts, same block different injectors,pump,pistons,etc best thing is to upgrade to a 335 Cummins same basic engine just had a turbo and piston squirters and they are easy to get parts and are everywhere

wcuhillbilly

The reason why you can't find any info thru Cummins is because they use a cpl number for finding parts and info and the 250 Cummins (military version ) does not have a cpl number on the data tag makes it a big pain to locate parts another problem is most of the 855 Cummins family had different parts, same block different injectors,pump,pistons,etc best thing is to upgrade to a 335 Cummins same basic engine just had a turbo and piston squirters and they are easy to get parts and are everywhere
335, 350, 400 any of these are availible at truck wrecking yards, many guys on here myself included have yanked the turbo manifolds, cross over pipes, intake and aftercoolers, Jake brakes etc off the civy trucks and bolted them onto our 800 series trucks... (Jake brake warning)-if you do jakes past the rear two heads you will be cutting the hood. 25A, 25B, 30 and 425 Jakes are the compatible ones. Remember these are 12v thus wire to one battery. Nice write up on here about it on an 818.
As far as the whole engine,,, you can drop it into your chassis and bolt your military stuff to it.... Freightliners, White, GMC, Petes, Cab overs in the 70s all ran the Cummins in some configuration.
The parts girl at Cummins cant find my engine number or CPL for my military 250, recon'd in 1988. Oh well,,, I was lucky enough to find this scrap engine which is a 1977, and I just use the engine number off it. Or part numbers I scrounge from SS. you will find that the green paint and the NSN number make the price go through the roof. The 855 was the predicessor to the N14 and some of the early N14 parts look really close to being able to fit... Like the BHT3B turbo is the replacement for the VT50, found on these early 855's, Everyone knows the HT3B but they pass over the VT50, thus somethings are easy and cheap. Remember the Unckle Sam had 19 year olds full of piss and vineger driving these trucks so he put the cheapest easiest to replace engine in them that contract could get....

The NHC/Cummins 250 motor is called a Cummins 855 in the civilian market. It's a 855 cubic inch or 14.0 liter motor. It's almost as common as a Chevy big block 350. It's had lots of uses in the civilian market from trucking to farming. It's a good solid motor with a heck of a lot of torque!

Eric
HMMMM!!!!!! I worked in GM muscle car salvage for almost 10 years and I never found a "Big Block 350 Chevy".... Found plenty of Small Block Chevys and Big Block 396's, 379's 427's 454's......:whistle: (bonus,, who can tell what the 379 was........yes Im stiring the pot...(where is that smiley)

Last edited:

wcuhillbilly

your welcome,,, shoot the breeze with a couple old retired truckers or old school truck mechanics. Tell them you have an 855 small cam Cummins and weed your way through the "I was up on XXXX pass and haulin XYZ load to bumfuzzy USA, and eventually you will learn some tips and tricks to spice up your 855.

M813A1

The NHC 250 is a Small Cam Cummins engine of the 855 cubic inch displacement. Most of the Small Cam parts should fit on the NHC 250 . There should be a CPL number on the data tag on the timing cover on the front left of the engine along with a manufacture date. The NHC 250 is a God reliable engine and was a workhorse in the trucking industry in the late 60's and early 70's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks