• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC 250 Engine Coolant Filter Location Ideas

kurt802

Hello Everyone,
First of all I want to thank you all for the offers of help with my 5 ton and especially Earth who was willing to drive down and lend a hand. I have searched the forum for information about coolant filters but have not found anything to help me locate the setup in the M809 series. I saw one picture in a GL photo where it looks like they had installed the setup inside the heater box, passenger side. Where have you guys mounted the filter base for your coolant filter? A picture would be very helpful if one is available.
Thanks,
Kurt802

jwaller

to my knowledge coolant filters were never an installed item while in mil service. you can install them anywhere you want and inline with the heater lines.

kurt802

Thanks jwaller, I am interested in ideas where you have installed your coolant filter.
With the fold down side, heater and low hood, not much room in there. Searched the forum and not found any information on where other members have placed theirs.
Kurt802

kurt802

That is a slick looking install jimk, thanks for the picture with the coolant filter. I was looking for an upper engine compartment location but there are obviously many more options near the frame. My M813A1 wants a turbo, too. Other priorities before attempting a turbo upgrade right now. I flushed a lot of crap out of the coolant system using dishwasher detergent and garden hose. Installed a coolant heater and that works very well. The weather in VT is improving for more comfortable working temperatures.
I will post some pictures of the coolant filter installation when I get around to it. Thanks.

kurt802

pic of M813A1 (w/turbo upgrade and relocated air filter)
jimk I have a question about the flow through the coolant filter. Question is which way does the coolant flow? From water pump to filter to manifold? Thanks

kurt802

It appears that the hose going to the oil cooler is a return line, according to the arrows in the photo. If that is the correct direction of the coolant flow, it really helps because I had no idea of the circulation direction. It makes sense that coolant would flow off the top ports of the engine and return to the bottom.

Last edited:

kurt802

This may be a dumb question but; If the truck gets regular PM, why would it need a coolant filter?

jimk, I really like that turbo application, BTW.
When I got my M813A1 it had PM tags for '06 and '08 coolant changes and when I checked the coolant it was a rusty brown color. I flushed the crap out of the system and used Navistar heavy duty antifreeze mixed with distilled water 50/50 and DCA 4 additive. I premixed prior to adding to coolant system and put in a gallon straight up to allow for the water remaining in the engine. I want to add the coolant filter to maintain my DCA 4 concentration using the chemical release filter and also keep the system clean for longer service life.

kurt802

If this is this correct the hoses going into the filter base (my earlier photo) needs to be swaped. Comments?
It got up to almost 40F today so I installed and hooked up the coolant filter assembly. I mounted it on the right inside fender. I'm plumbed into the 5/8 hoses of my heater. First I ran one hose to the filter assembly intake off the coolant manifold returning to the oil cooler then took a test drive and had no heat. I switched the hoses around so that the intake to the filter assembly is coming off the oil cooler and returning through the heater to the coolant manifold and now I have heat and filtered coolant :grin:
Thanks
kurt802

Last edited:

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm not sure what you mean by hooking up to water pump. The water pump has nowhere to connect a hose (that I know of). The end of the oil cooler does. This should be the lowest pressure point with coolant going to pump inlet through the oil cooler. If there was any pressure here it would allow coolant to flow up the surge tank drain line, fill the tank and flow out when the cap is off.

Here is my understanding of coolant flow. If I am wrong, or using an incorrect connection like those at my filter base in earlier picture (see note on second pictue below), I hope someone will speak up.

Attachments

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was thinking I was going to install a coolant filter on my M936. But I was looking at the post above and one post says the coolant flows one way and the other post says it flows the other way.
Anyone have any more info. on have the coolant flow is on the NHC250 or the heater flow on the M939 trucks?
Thanks!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks