• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC-250 Engine Troubles

Barron

My Buddy drove off in a 923, and didn't do a good check of the fluids. It got hot, discolored the paint pretty bad on the heads and down a couple inches on the top of the block. I got it started later, there's coolant in the engine oil, it makes quite a bit of white smoke, has a dead miss on one cylinder. Any ideas? seems like it may have dicked up the cups in the injectors, and maybe a head gasket?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
at least, maybe a cracked head, or worse, getting it that hot, 855s DO NOT like heat

AMGeneral

IF it got hot enough to discolor the paint on the heads and the block,it's probably got a future as a boat anchor without a complete tear down and rebuild.

If it sounds like the rods are knocking,I would NOT run it ,they may decide to make an exit hole somewhere.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
IF it got hot enough to discolor the paint on the heads and the block,it's probably got a future as a boat anchor without a complete tear down and rebuild.
If it sounds like the rods are knocking,I would NOT run it ,they may decide to make an exit hole somewhere.
Yup...gotta inside and do the deed...or replace.

Barron

I agree, it was a pretty stupid deal. I think the block had a cold leak and the coolant had drained down over time sitting. It was dark when he was driving it so he couldn't see the gages too well.

A crate motor is on the way, sounds like the best idea at the moment.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
always have a flash light with you, use among other things, watch dash gages at night, in case bulbs die,ect.

Barron

An awfully expensive reminder to carry a flashlight, I must admit. We had several of these engines
in our Versatile farm tractors on the farm in KS, and they were bulletproof. They'd go 7500 hours before they ever needed work, and that was pulling at full load and 2100 rpm all day.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lower end could very well be ok. The knock is more than likely coming from a piston or wrist pin. Heads could be toast.

I'd say the engine could be salvageable with new heads and a piston and sleeve kit.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would guess it is in need of a total rebuild, with the color change down into the block, it was so hot that the oil was VERY thin, oil pressure was about O, means bearing are toast, rings burnt (blue), cam history, cracked heads, ect, ect, the 855 will run about for ever as long as thay do not get REAL hot and oil pressure hept up, do one , it is fixable, do both, it is pretty much junk, cheaper to buid another engine

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks