• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC 250 Fuel Priming Pump

brock

Hello All,

Recently purchased a '85 M936A1 Wrecker with a NHC 250.

It had not run in over 2 years. I went through and replaced the fuel filter and oil filter and drained/replaced oil and fuel.

The fuel primer pump works but only barely. Seems like the internal seals aren't sealing as well as they could. I got the truck started but I think I may be sucking air through the primer pump. Is there a rebuild kit for this unit? Also, the emergency fuel shut off valve that sits at the top of the pump in the high pressure line is leaking like a sieve. Any ideal on how to rebuild or replace?

Another question, what would cause a severly lazy throttle response? I push the pedal to the floor and its a good 1-2 seconds before there is any increase in throttle. Im hoping this is attributed to air being in the system.

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Primer pump only has two or three o-rings in it that can be replaced.
It does sound like the motor is sucking air.
You need to check your fuel lines, fuel filter seal, etc.

Csm Davis

Hello All,

It had not run in over 2 years. I went through and replaced the fuel filter and oil filter and drained/replaced oil and fuel.

The fuel primer pump works but only barely. Seems like the internal seals aren't sealing as well as they could. I got the truck started but I think I may be sucking air through the primer pump. Is there a rebuild kit for this unit? Also, the emergency fuel shut off valve that sits at the top of the pump in the high pressure line is leaking like a sieve. Any ideal on how to rebuild or replace?

Another question, what would cause a severly lazy throttle response? I push the pedal to the floor and its a good 1-2 seconds before there is any increase in throttle. Im hoping this is attributed to air being in the system.

Thank you
The primer pump just has an O-ring to replace but sometimes you can just tighten it a little bit and or put a little silicone grease on the shaft to get it to seal off better. Also check the plastic line going to the primer pump they are often cracked. And yes air will make it slow on the accelerator. I would advise you to replace all of the plastic and rubber lines in the fuel system.

brock

My hope is to remove the primer pump and pick up new o-rings at a NAPA then reinstall.

I found two of the fuel supply lines under the dash that connect to the fuel tank selector to be leaking severly. Going to have two new lines made.

Any ideas where to get a replacement emergency shut off valve? Anyone have a good used one?

tractors0130

Hello All,

Thank you
There are 2 O-rings that measure 3/8 x 1/2 x 1/16 wide towards the end of the primer plunger after you remove it.
I had just replaced mine that were sucking air along with the supply hose from the fuel filter to the IP that was also leaking.
The truck would surge up and down while it was at an idle, after these were changed the idle smoothed right out and was no longer surging.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look in the 5t up manual section. There is a parts manual there that you can get the correct O-rings and shut off from Cummins.

Monkeyboyarmy

My hope is to remove the primer pump and pick up new o-rings at a NAPA then reinstall.

****Remove the pump completely so that you can remove the 2 slotted plugs that hold the check valves and springs in place. Clean and re-install. I am pretty sure that when you lock the handle it closes the port with a needle and seat so there is no leakage.

I found two of the fuel supply lines under the dash that connect to the fuel tank selector to be leaking severly. Going to have two new lines made.

****There are no fuel lines under the dash. The selector on the dash is only for the guages. The selector that is to the left of the drivers seat is troublesome at times. More often is the rubber lines deteriorated.
Any ideas where to get a replacement emergency shut off valve? Anyone have a good used one?
****There is an o-ring between the pump and fuel shut-off valve. Any idea where it's leaking?

DeeMan6996

Petcocks.

When I purchased mine and got it trucked back from Saint Louis to my place I went through and changed the fuel filter, oil, and oil filter. I filled the fuel filter bowl up with fresh diesel and primed it. The ol small cam Cummins fired right up after one crank, and took the oil pressure a couple of seconds to reach operating psi. I decided to let it sit and idle for a while.

It ran for 4-5 minutes then died. I removed the fuel filter bowl and saw that all the diesel had been sucked out of it with no fuel going into the bowl from the tank. I filled it with fresh diesel again and then I put an air blow gun in the tank and had a buddy standing by the fuel filter bowl and said that the petcock in front of the fuel filter was hissing badly. So we put a bolt (Don't remember what size) in the hole and never had a problem with air in the fuel lines again. But then I had to do an overhaul so... :whistle:

All in all just check the petcocks and make sure none of them are sucking air. My primer pump was still working as should so I couldn't tell you how to rebuild that but just my2cents

Good luck!

brock

When I purchased mine and got it trucked back from Saint Louis to my place I went through and changed the fuel filter, oil, and oil filter. I filled the fuel filter bowl up with fresh diesel and primed it. The ol small cam Cummins fired right up after one crank, and took the oil pressure a couple of seconds to reach operating psi. I decided to let it sit and idle for a while.

It ran for 4-5 minutes then died. I removed the fuel filter bowl and saw that all the diesel had been sucked out of it with no fuel going into the bowl from the tank. I filled it with fresh diesel again and then I put an air blow gun in the tank and had a buddy standing by the fuel filter bowl and said that the petcock in front of the fuel filter was hissing badly. So we put a bolt (Don't remember what size) in the hole and never had a problem with air in the fuel lines again. But then I had to do an overhaul so... :whistle:

All in all just check the petcocks and make sure none of them are sucking air. My primer pump was still working as should so I couldn't tell you how to rebuild that but just my2cents

Good luck!
Thanks! That's a good idea.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got tired of pumping the 250 primer/ filter canister and bought a electric diesel pump. Up graded the rubber hose and bought a hydraulic fitting that pushes into the ribber line and the fuel line from canister screws on to it.. I undo the fuel line at the elbow of the PT and hook it to the pump. Fire up pump and ten seconds later full canister and line.

Attachments

Last edited: