• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC 250 needs more power

jrod66

add a turbo and an egt then you will have a power change, and you can play with the pump after the fact, like what was said above, you wont see much of a power change adjusting the pump until you install a turbo, add an intercooler if you want more than that :beer:

tiny110

Banned
Diesels blow black smoke whenever they are running rich. Meaning that they need more air. Right now I get no black smoke therefore it does not need more air. I'm cranking back and forth on the screw that supposed to turn the motor up it does nothing.

If I'm going to do anything it would be put a multi fuel back in it.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Diesels blow black smoke whenever they are running rich. Meaning that they need more air. Right now I get no black smoke therefore it does not need more air. I'm cranking back and forth on the screw that supposed to turn the motor up it does nothing.

If I'm going to do anything it would be put a multi fuel back in it.

The multi isn't going to do anything to increase power . The answer is in posts 3 and 4 .

emr

I wonder why I even waste my time sometimes.
Seems to me if U know so much , 1st how come U needed us, 2nd, why did U ask if U are not going to accept all answers with a thanks for helping, since u asked, Like said a bazzilion times on this list, there is no magic screw that is going to do anything to that motor, What u want is a civy truck, these are tactical trucks, They do what they were made to do, sure If U spend the time and money , anything can be done, but with this motor it is a waste of money, its already awesome and will do the job, run some normal rubber and live with it or change the truck, since U asked , all answers are good ones.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Seems to me if U know so much , 1st how come U needed us, 2nd, why did U ask if U are not going to accept all answers with a thanks for helping, since u asked, Like said a bazzilion times on this list, there is no magic screw that is going to do anything to that motor, What u want is a civy truck, these are tactical trucks, They do what they were made to do, sure If U spend the time and money , anything can be done, but with this motor it is a waste of money, its already awesome and will do the job, run some normal rubber and live with it or change the truck, since U asked , all answers are good ones.
DID NOT want to here "take the freaken big tires off", nor "a cummins is NOT MADE TO RUN CRAP though the Ip or injectors"

midcounty

Sounds to me like your pump may not be healthy to start with. I have a 818, my first and only 5 ton. When I got it I thought, boy what a dog these 5 tons are. Recently I found out why. My IP has been going bad all along. The truck still runs the way it did when I bought it, but a friend of mine looked it over and assured me the pump needs a rebuild. I would think it possible that turning up the fuel on a weak pump just simply won't do anything.

tiny110

Banned
I do thank the people that say something relevant!

M813a1 right now in running a 50/50 blend of wmo. But i have been having some small problems running it. I like the multi fuels better because you can put trash in it and it eats it up and likes it. Lol

It is looking like i will be going down to 49" tires at some point. If that makes you fill any better.

Will told me to turn any certain screw out and it would give the motor and slight bit more fuel. It is not working for me.

tiny110

Banned
When I said " I wonder why I even try sometimes" i was not taking about talking to yall but trying to do stuff to some of these trucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bottom line on an 855ci Cummins, turning up the fuel won't increase horsepower at all without:

1. Bigger injectors. They are not like the multifuel injectors. They will spray a little more with increased fuel pressure but not enough to make a difference.

2. More air. Dumping more fuel in there won't get more power without the air to burn it. A naturally aspirated 855 Cummins will make 250 HP. That's why Cummins put a turbo on it to get 290 HP which is not a whole lot more than 250 HP.

tiny110

Banned
any suggestions for a drop in power plant that will bolt up to the bell housing? if i did all that i would want at least 300-350hp. and would the clutch hold up?

Kalashnikov

Go for a 400 big cam cummins. Or any other variation that has more power than the 250 NA. Since it is basically the same bottom end size wise it should be easy. And for the record, the Cummins will eat up anything a multi will. Pretty much anything will eat what a multi does with these old diesels.

But I definitely agree if you aren't smoking and you think a multi has more power, something is wrong. My Cummins would eat any multi and it was in need of help.

It would efinitely be much easier to just add a turbo wouldn't it?

tiny110

Banned
Ok guys... my muffler blew out. And I'm thinking something maybe wrong with my injector pump. So I'm thinking if the muffler blown out and I need to replace it maybe I just need to go ahead and replace it with a turbo. And if I need my injector pump look at maybe I just need to get it pumped up a little bit.

Any suggestions on how to do this correctly?

Anyone have any suggestions on where to find the turbo to do the job right?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks