• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nhc-250 oil priming before 1st start up after rebuild.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
I'm ready to start my wrecker after replacing the #2 and #4 pistons and liners, the truck has not run in almost a year. I have read the TM about how to prime the oil system but I don't have the correct pump it calls for so I'm going to use what I do have. Anyway, what I was wondering was, does anybody have the correct pump or at least know how it was hooked up? Thanks

dmetalmiki

If i had no other means.I would use our big oil grease gun and pump till something showed (or) and then use our gearbox omd 330 filler gun. at the same plug points shown. just an idea.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The NSN in the attachment comes back to a Caterpillar part number. You might call Yancey Cat and see if they can come up with anything on part #1P0540 (those are zeros in the number). I have some connections at Yancey but I won't see them till Monday. If they have the pump on one of the trucks I might could arrange for a borrowing.

I still need to catch up with you to give you that sling...especially since your wrecker will be mobile again soon.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Buy a cheapo oil pump, one that the shaft will fit in a drill. (I suspect you have a 1/2 chuck drill) Weld on a black iron pipe fitting to the output port. Plumb that up to the port with a hyd hose or whatever you have. Drop the pickup into a pan of oil and hold it and turn the drill on slowly. Presto, preluber for under $20.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Actually, if you happen to find a pump with an output port of 7/16, you could tap that to 1/4 NPT without even having to drill it. Would be quicker than welding too and less prone to leaks. Or find something with a port that could be drilled to 7/16.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is an excerpt from a Cat 3208 rebuild manual on how it's used by Cat mechanics.

Screenshot_2014-11-06-19-52-42.jpg

It's still listed on Cat's website but it says it was replaced. Not suggesting you purchase one from Cat, just that there's a better chance there's one on a service truck somewhere.

Edit: The screenshot didn't work well so here's a link to the PDF. Description is on page 5-3.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=13&ved=0CB8QFjACOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com%2Fdownloads%2F3208%2520General%2520Instructions%2520Disassembly%2520and%2520Reassembly.pdf&rct=j&q=caterpillar%201p0540&ei=HR5cVMipJ7eCsQT2n4DACw&usg=AFQjCNGfFPGBX1fzGzXscwB4KrSbMSHO6g&bvm=bv.79184187,d.cWc

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey, another idea and less complex would be the trick we've already been doing with the pump sprayer tanks and DOT5. Do the same thing only with oil. Again under $20. Probably faster too. Less mess at least. But you'd probably need to lube with syn 5w15 to get it to flow easily enough.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A simple tank using air over oi will work fine.

Just use air pressure to force the new oil into the oil galley of the engine.

Plan on adding the correct amount(do not overfill it).

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Thanks for the input but I guess I should have clarified, I have a gear pump that I'm going to use and I'm going to "T" into the suction line on the oil pan for the supply and feed into the port indicated in the TM, that way I can maintain oil pressure until the engines oil pump takes over, then I just shut the electric pump off. What I was really just wanting to know was how the called for primer pump was supposed to be hooked up to see if there were any flaws in my plan.

mdmorgan

AM3 U.S. Navy
Here is an excerpt from a Cat 3208 rebuild manual on how it's used by Cat mechanics.

View attachment 525528

It's still listed on Cat's website but it says it was replaced. Not suggesting you purchase one from Cat, just that there's a better chance there's one on a service truck somewhere.

Edit: The screenshot didn't work well so here's a link to the PDF. Description is on page 5-3.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=13&ved=0CB8QFjACOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com%2Fdownloads%2F3208%2520General%2520Instructions%2520Disassembly%2520and%2520Reassembly.pdf&rct=j&q=caterpillar%201p0540&ei=HR5cVMipJ7eCsQT2n4DACw&usg=AFQjCNGfFPGBX1fzGzXscwB4KrSbMSHO6g&bvm=bv.79184187,d.cWc
I found that when I searched the part #, was hoping for a picture showing how to hook it up, thank you though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks