• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC250 dual fuel line install finished

sed6

It's taken a month of short nights and even shorter weekends to finish this up but I'm finally done. This has been on my short list of mods since last summer. The actual labor was about 5 hours but easily 2x that when you count trips to the parts store, searching for tools, etc.

I went the route of cutting the doghouse as opposed to removing it. No way I want to cut/pull/remove enough flooring and firewall insulation to access those 16 hard to get to bolts. The steel I'll just tack weld back in place and the insulation itself I'll RTV back into place to seal any drafts. All that will be covered by my winch control tower. No one will ever notice.

20160412_195424.jpg

20160423_194811_001.jpg

That lower plug was tough to get out. It broke off an allen driver and wouldn't give it back. So I drove down the street and my local muffler shop guy welded on a fat nut and the plug came right out.

20160423_195808.jpg

20160427_171614.jpg

With the winch tower out I took time to refurb the labels and knobs. The old labels peeled right off and I scanned them, cleaned them up in Photoshop, printed them on photo paper and spray glued with 3M 77.

20160423_151819.jpg

20160417_123216.jpg

Here is the new fuel line I ran. It 5/16"x30" and about $8 from Napa. The 90 is 1/8 NPT to 5/16 inverted flair and about $3. I completely ruined the first line bending it with that crappy bender I borrowed from another parts store. So I used it to practice my bends and had more success on the second one.

20160511_183344.jpg

20160511_191518.jpg

20160511_181830.jpg

Continued-

Last edited:

sed6

Despite reading that a 30" line is long enough and my efforts to make it stretch, the lines just not long enough. I'm going to have to add some extra fittings to make up the length. I'll put a male/male and female/female coupler together to give me the extra length.

20160511_194627.jpg

20160511_192711.jpg

Here's the finished tee. I didn't want to replace the front fuel line (a big pain to remove) so I elected to cut it, bend it and put a new double flair on it. It mates right up and doesn't leak a drop. None of it leaked in fact! I was happy as pie with just a few seconds cranking she fired right up.

20160511_224743.jpg

20160511_214051.jpg

So the twenty-thousand dollar question. Is it worth it? You bet! You bet your ass! With a dozen plus hours of work on it there's no way it's not a noticeable improvement. Prolly added 100hp or so. I jest, but in all seriousness, sure she idles better and seems to rev better too. But I chose this mod not just for the subjective improvements but also as a good first step for other fuel mods.

Hope you like!

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the write up. It may be in the future of my 813 as well. Distant future. Too many things around the farm in the summer time. :-(

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I finally got back into mine yesterday to finish it. Tried it a few months ago and the little allen head did not want to come out. I found it to be 5 inches off to the side of the top right bolt on the shifter to make the access panel. I finally had to let the lil butane torch sit on it for about 10mins and then I drilled into it with one the "Speed Out" you see on TV. Was like $15 at home depot. The bit dug in and removed it just easy as could be. Installed the 1/8" adapter in the head. Then the 90 degree. I already had the front line done from a few weeks ago. I bought all the fittings and lines from my local hydraulic shop for around $90. Their butterfly valve was quite expensive ($15 each) but it has a wide close off knob so I could drill thru it and reattach my shut off cable.

https://youtu.be/5Sqz6WI4O-M

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks