• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC250 EGT pyrometer and gauge install finished

sed6

To complement my dual fuel line mod and to prep for turning up the fuel some more I installed a EGT probe and gauge in my truck. Lots of other threads out there but I took lots of pics so here goes.

I choose a Hewitt Industries gauge and custom ordered one direct from them with 0-1600° range, 250° needle sweep and red led back light. You have your choice of needle, face, numeral and bezel color as well. All for $85.

20160514_124900.jpg

I had dreams of squeezing the gauge in below the ABS light but no joy. I instead fabbed up this mount of wood and a hose clamp. I figure such and important gauge deserves to be front and center. And yes it dims with the dash lights too!

20160514_115856.jpg

I also ordered their 90° K probe and a 7' extension wire. I prolly should have ordered a 1/8 to 1/8 adapter as opposed to the 1/4 to 1/8 that came standard. No biggie, just a bigger hole to drill.

20160509_203759.jpg

I moved the trans filter out of the way to give me easy access to the manifold for drilling.

20160509_202507.jpg

The manifold was thicker than I'd have guessed and it tapped well with a 1/4 NPT tap.

20160509_203619.jpg

Ready to install.

20160509_204054.jpg

I sprung for a new drill bit to make it easier. Did I mention I was nervous as **** drilling into my exhaust?

20160509_200541.jpg

sed6

Moving back inside, I used a 6' fiberglass fish pole thru the washer fluid line hole in the firewall to get the probe wire fished.

20160509_212018.jpg

I tapped power off one of the dash lights using a y-splitter I fabbed up with Packard connectors. I ground it at the bottom of the steering wheel and tidied it up with heat shrink and zip ties.

20160514_123501.jpg

Here's a closer up of the mount. I'll disassemble and paint it all green tomorrow. Worked out real well!

20160514_124917.jpg

Hope you like!

ETA- Oh, so, she runs hotter than expected. 600-1000° unloaded driving in town and up to 1200° with it floored going up the highway on ramp. When I had the PT repaired last year the diesel tech said it was turned up or flowing extra well, I forget which. Guess he wasn't kidding. Doesn't seem I should turn it up any nor mess with the button. Opinions?

Last edited:

Jakelc15

Nice setup. I use Hewitt on mine too. They make nice stuff. I'm not sure if they still do but they use to make gauges for Caterpillar.
You should put a gauge on the pt pump pressure. Anything over 225 to 250 psi wears the cam.

Time to turbo that motor!

sed6

Nice setup. I use Hewitt on mine too. They make nice stuff. I'm not sure if they still do but they use to make gauges for Caterpillar.
You should put a gauge on the pt pump pressure. Anything over 225 to 250 psi wears the cam.

Time to turbo that motor!
So affix the gauge to the pump or run a hose up thru my window so I can watch it while driving? I ask because i dont know if max pressure is achieved under load during driving or if it be checked with a fast idle while parked?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I was to turbo a non turbo motor I think I would look for a different PT. Ours does not have a A/F fuel adjustment for the lower end. I also would shim the RPM to 2350 so it would not defuel so early. You don't ever have to run the rpm that high though. Myself I try and stay around 200psi. I bet your fuel is running around 195psi. The older 809 series I have check have been around 172psi. When I checked Petes 939 series it was running 195psi.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
If I was to turbo a non turbo motor I think I would look for a different PT. Ours does not have a A/F fuel adjustment for the lower end. I also would shim the RPM to 2350 so it would not defuel so early. You don't ever have to run the rpm that high though. Myself I try and stay around 200psi. I bet your fuel is running around 195psi. The older 809 series I have check have been around 172psi. When I checked Petes 939 series it was running 195psi.
I would be REAL CAREFUL going to 2350 rpm, this is getting REAL close to valve float and valve kiss which starts at 2400, The 855 series is not designed as a hi rpm engine, it has fairly long rods, valves that WILL start to float at about 2400, to make a high rpm 855, it gets different valves, valve spring, trick rods, trick push rods, ect., ect., I have seen some high rpm 855s (4000 or a touch over ) in some race trucks, If they get the run, great, sometimes yes, sometimes no, not a big deal, there are 3 or 4 more in the trailer, BUT we are talking $50000 to $100000 a engine, so if you want a high rpm 855, only lack of money will stop you, if you DO NOT have the money for ANOTHER engine, watch how high you bump the rpm, at 2350, you just a bit under floating rpm, going down hill will bring up the rpm , which in this case will put you IN valve float zone.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I said you do not need run that high as you have a tac and a foot. From what I understand it pushes the derail point higher so it will pull harder. Most people don't run the motors to the Gov. to shift anyway.
Everybody wants more performance but with that comes responsibility.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Nice job on the pyro install. Just get some more air to the puppy and those EGT's will drop a good bit. People always say more fuel, then add a turbo. Natural air can cool down that engine just as well as a turbo at a fraction of the cost. Not as much of an EGT drop but you would be surprised.