• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NHC250 with a Cummins PT Pump?

MosquitoRanch

I have a 1983 AM General M931 with a Cummins NHC250. I am trying to determine which PT pump I need? The truck must be primed with the hand pump primer each time the truck is cranked! Plus the truck seems down on power so I figure I will just swap it out!
531-4567A279438
I found this on ebay but I' not sure if it will work.
XXXXXXXX

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
As a reminder, please do not post auction links.

As to the priming, that sounds like a air leak. Have you checked all the lines first? The M931 has a transfer valve that typically leak.

wrenchturner6238

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would check out why you have to pump it up every time before you start. You are probably sucking air in to the pump. this will also give you power problems as well.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you have an air leak in a hose or the fuel filter. Maybe the pickup tube in the tank. After you get it started does it idle OK or is the rpm's up and down?Also the part number you show is not for the NHC250. I would just get that pump rebuilt if it turns out to be the pump.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You have a MAJOR air suck, another ip WILL only help you to spend extra money but NOT help the truck running issue.

MosquitoRanch

Cummins PT Pump

The pump has a horrible fuel leak so I'm sure that is where the air is coming from. It started as a slow leak but now its closer to a steady stream. So I KNOW the problem is the pump. But I need some info from someone who has changed a PT pump before & I need to know which PT pump I need. I found a New old stock pump on ebay but I needed to know what part number I need.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leak where? Why not fix what you have?

Why didn't you mention the leak to begin with?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a tag on top of the pump that tells exactly what it is to a qualified person. Remove the pump, a few lines, the linkage and 4 bolts, and have it repaired.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It's hard to make out where the leak is at on the pump due to the glare in the pics. Is it the throttle shaft? Or is it the sender at the bottom? (That's only used for STE/ICE, you could plug it instead)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The bad thing about NOS is the seals ARE old and will tend to harden so they will never really seal as they should, in another words, the NOS ip may leak once installed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks