• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

nickd's new 6.5 engine install

jatonka

Ord22, I was just talking to him a while ago, it is a 6.5 non turbo, he says everything hooks right up. I didn't know that they came both ways either before he explained it. JT out

nickd

Ord22,
The 6.5 is available in both turbo and non turbo. The new one I am installing is a non turbo. The non turbo bolts right up to the regular transmission.

Putting a turbo 6.5 in place of a 6.2 or 6.5 non turbo equipped truck can be done. I looked into putting a 6.5 turbo in but going that route is very expensive and requires a new electronic overdrive transmsion, new wiring harness for the engine and transmission, new drive shaft, new fuel tank to allow for the longer transmission, and the computer unit that is located under the rear passingers side seat. the transmission computer is not easy to find either.
The best way to have a 6.5 turbo in a HUMVEE is to pay a little more. I understand from a 6.5 turbo owner they run 70mph on the highway.

Ord22

Thanks for the info Nickd! If you wanted to go that route, it would have been best to buy one with that engine in it already. I understand that the transmission is heavy duty, also.Where did you pickup the engine? Keep the pics coming. I was wondering if any are around, i doubt it. Maybe, you never know.

nickd

Yesterday, I spent some time bolting up the cross over exhaust pipe to the manifolds on the block and the reaminder of the exhaust system. once aligned up, the difficult part was bolting up the passengers side. I installed the starter before the motor went in so 2 of the 3 flange bolts were a chore to tighten with out soldier B. Rather than drop the starter, I used a 24" extension on the ratchet ffrom the front of the engine and had a box wrench attached to the nut on the other side to draw the flanges tight. Now I know why one of these flange bolts was missing when I removed the toasted 6.2. Another pleaseure was installing the heat shield on the passingers side of the block once the exhaust manifold connection was made. Got the radiator boiled out and ready to inatall, need to replace all the rubber hoses in the engine bay and on the hard lines under the body along with the cooling lines to the oil cooler. Waiting on the new oil cooler and oil cooler lines to arrive.
No new pictures to share at this time.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sounds like a productive day, Nick. Those passenger side manifold bolts are a serious pain with the starter in place. It's too bad they didn't use v-band clamps to make the connections. That would have made the job a lot easier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks