• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Niehoff 100amp 14VDC/28VDC N1505-1 Dual Amp Alternator on M1025A2-Ground Strap?

Crapgame

Hello, I am no mechanic, only a parts changer that can read the TMs and perform minor tasks.

Motorpool Gremlins hit me pretty bad in April, the alternator went, melted the red rubber boot, smoked, and killed the Smart Start Box.

While investigating I discovered this truck actually been using a 100amp Dual Voltage 14VDC/28VDC Niehoff 1505-1 Alternator with the N3135 Regulator. I had never seen such a thing, my other M1025A2 has a 200amp.

After finding a NOS replacement then reinstallling, I discovered it never had the flat braided ground strap, even the coolant crossover fitting is bolted directly to the engine, it doesn't have a threaded stud to attach a ground strap exactly like the 200amp Niehoff Dual Voltage N1225-1 Alternator.

Am I wrong Ass/U/Me-ing it should also have a ground strap? I don't want to kill off another Alternator and Smart Start Box in short order.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
EDIT, again, I went off half cocked.
ground.JPG
ground strap.JPG
The 100A uses a ground strap made from standard cable not the flat braid the 200A uses.
it is *C in the illustration and #16 in the parts list, I would probably make it out of #8 or #6 wire, it would probably work without it as the alt. is bolted directly to the engine but why chance it.

I looked up that part # for the wire and it is 4 AWG so there you go..
wire.JPG

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interestingly enough there is a cutoff by serial number so your truck may never have had a ground strap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks