• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Niek's M1008

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Instead of posting in the "What have you done" thread, I decided to start this "build" thread for my friend's M1008 we are working on.

My friend, Niek, wanted a truck. I knew he liked my M1028 and his employers F250 so whenever I saw an ad of a reasonably priced truck, mainly CUCVs, I shared them with him. When I came across this one he decided to go and have a look. I went with him as I know more about them.

Truck looked good. Ran great. Owner was knowledgeable about CUCVs and 6.2s. He knew specifics you only know if you're really into these trucks and engines. Told us about the things he had done to the truck. Most notable a GM4 turbo. Restored everything except for the bed so-far. We went home to think about it some more, made an offer and picked up the truck a week later.

IMG-20201018-WA0023.jpeg

Unfortunately we ran into problems pretty soon after. The truck would occasionally die while driving. We cleaned the fuel filter and while bleeding the system the starter relay failed and the starter kept going. We rushed to the batteries and started to unhook the battery terminals before the starter fried, but in a hurry we unhooked in the wrong order and a wire to the drivers side alternator fried. Later I found a thread on why disconnecting in the proper order is important, can't find it right now, when I do I'll post it here.

We fixed the wire and found a bunch of crappy wiring under the dash. We cleaned that mess and did a mod similar to the Doghead relay mod.

IMG-20201201-WA0023.jpeg Photo from Clint Rutjes(6).jpg IMG-20201201-WA0025.jpeg

Niek decided to take the bench out to make it easier to crawl up and under the dash. Removed the floor mats to do so. Guess what, lots of rust. At least it runs.

Some will have read about it in the "What have you done" thread, but a strange knocking/ticking sound started developing. It could be best heard from on the front side of the engine. Turned out it was the balancer hitting the waterpump. A combination of a bad balancer and I guess a cheap Chinese waterpump where the cause. The waterpump didn't have an indent on the bottom, above the balancer, like all other pumps I have seen. You can see where the balancer was hitting the waterpump in the following pictures.

IMG_20201209_123429(1).jpg IMG_20201209_123407(1).jpg

The waterpump had been replaced about a year earlier. Balancer looked original.

I've read enough "horror" stories about bad balancers destroying crack shafts I had him park the truck. At that time we decided to change to a serpentine belt setup as I was building one for my Optimizer. We found a donor truck online and went and got the parts. I have tons of ideas for my own M1028 so we are putting some of those into Niek's truck. We also ordered lots of stuff from the states. Balancer, crank pulley, FlowKooler waterpump, timing set, Duramax fan, Hayden HD fan clutch, Oil coolers for engine oil and transmission oil, thermostat for transmission oil, lots of repair panels from LMC and some other goodies.

The parts where ordered a couple of weeks before Christmas so we expected to unpack them by Christmas. With Covid-19, the storm in the USA and more set backs it was February by the time the parts where delivered. We did keep the Christmas spirit alive when unpacking though.

IMG-20210223-WA0014.jpeg IMG-20210223-WA0012.jpeg IMG_20210223_192419.jpg

Guess what. Rock Auto sent the wrong timing set. Pretty much put the whole project on hold. We did get to start on tearing the engine down, clean parts, paint parts, re-do/improve some wiring.

IMG_20201209_122420.jpg

Last edited:

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We made a bracket for the throttle cable so it would clear the dual thermostat crossover we took from the donor truck we took the serpentine setup from.

10b3e815-c5da-46f0-9ecb-4f86d32be41c.jpg 2d33d958-b7d9-4cc0-be34-58a275d82092.jpg

Did have to loose the fast idle solenoid. No big deal?

Niek started mounting the B&M oil coolers.

21b7d34b-a0c6-41a4-b184-ee107d6dd3c6.jpg

Also made a high flow intake plenum to go with the turbo and 6.5 F code intake manifold that where already installed. Also painted the intake manifold.

db327446-867a-47e5-a01e-58eebf6101ff.jpg IMG_20210524_231243.jpg

Yesterday I finished the intake plenum. I forgot to take a picture of it finished. If I remember, I will take a picture tomorrow.

While I was working on that I had Niek work on the glow plug wiring. I already created a similar setup on my 6.5 K1500 so he was able to copy that. Still neat to get some heat reflective sleeving for near the exhaust manifolds.

IMG_20210616_171804(1).jpg IMG_20210616_171757(1).jpg

And yes, I did forget about the wait light wire. I see that now. :LOL:

Last edited:

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today we finished cutting and test fitting hydraulic hose. We put the fittings and ferrules on so a friend can crimp them at work. They will get heat reflective sleeves near the exhaust and protection against rubbing where needed.

IMG_20210616_171833.jpg IMG_20210616_184857.jpg IMG_20210616_184927.jpg IMG_20210616_171826.jpg IMG-20210616-WA0018.jpeg

Also finished welding 4AN fittings to coolant block-off plates I had laser cut. Painted and installed them. This is for a future cooling mod.

IMG-20210614-WA0001.jpeg IMG-20210614-WA0003.jpeg IMG_20210616_171737(1).jpg

You might've noticed the turbomaster in one of the above pictures. The previous owner got vacuum from the vacuum pump ontop of the rear of the block. Pressure was hitting 15 PSI, way to much IMO. I prefer having it half of that, especially without ARP studs and new head gaskets.

Last edited:

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost forgot. The truck got 2 new Optima Red Tops. We made a battery tray for them using angle iron and using the original mounts to the outer and inner fenders. You can also see some of the work in progress re-wiring in the following shots.

4cb89657-6c1f-48f3-9abd-63ae5c390bc2.jpg f2077a9a-2d9d-404c-b59f-c7197c973ec8.jpg

We removed the exhaust stack from the bed and got the first quote on a custom made stainless exhaust. Stainless 2,5" crossover, 3" downpipe and 4" exhaust following the frame rail to end behind the rear wheel. € 1750, that's about $ 2100 :oops: We'll get some more quotes, but I don't think he'll get it for much less around here. With these kind of prices, I'm not sure he'll go for it. Might have to go with steel. Sure will look good though. I think I'll get one made when my optimizer goes on the M1028 frame.

Last edited:

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should update this more often. And take more pictures during the build.

We got the truck running. Serpentine belt conversion complete. It took a couple of turns for it a start and then it rumbled a bit for 10 to 15 seconds to get some air out. Runs smooth. Feels good to hear it running again after such a long time with all the setbacks we've had.

Starts in the blink of an eye now. Fresh glow plugs, used 12V Delco Remy starter and new heavy gauge wiring doing their job.

39d61c3c-7563-4376-bbf9-dbe70784aba8.jpg

Still need to clean up the wiring a bit.

We started on replacing the suspension rubbers with Energy Suspension bushings. On some the truck is just sitting on the bolts. One actually looks bent. First rubber was a pain to remove. Burned it out by putting the welder on the inner tube. After the first one it got dark and we had to quit. Will continue next weekend.

Once the rubbers are replaced we can sent the truck for an MOT and it can hit the road again.

Next project will be the instrument panel. We sourced a civilian instrument cluster to use as a base. The plan is to replace the fuel gauge with a tach from LMC and fit a small fuel gauge from LMC in the blank slot on the bottom left. I want to try and hook both engine temperature and transmission temperature sensors to the temperature gauge and wire in a button to switch between them.

Exhaust gas temperature and turbo pressure gauges from VDO will go where the old 24V meter was.

04a131bf-a6e9-42b1-b88e-710e8afc59f1.jpg

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Today we spent the day replacing the suspension bushings with Energy Suspension bushings. Thanks to @ezgn for posting the Energy Suspension part numbers.

Right front bushing had to be burned out. Knocked the bolt out and put the welding torch onto the inner sleeve to do so. All other front bushings came right out. All the right rears had to be burned out. By this time we had a gas torch a friend brought. It go too late and too dark to finish the job so the left rears are a project for next weekend.

IMG-20210809-WA0007.jpeg IMG_20210809_170523.jpg IMG_20210809_170514.jpg

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished replacing the suspension rubbers. Truck is sitting pretty level again. While he was under the truck, I told Niek to take the bolt from a shock absorber out and try to push it in. It went in without any resistance and stayed there. Got on Rock Auto and ordered new shocks all around and a steering damper too. Should be here next Tuesday. International shipping is getting faster and faster it seems.

VDO turbo boost and exhaust gas temperature gauges and sensors arrived. We will install those next Sunday or Monday.

IMG-20210817-WA0022(1).jpg

If we get the shock absorbers early on Tuesday we should be able to bring the truck to an MOT station the same day.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New shocks and steering damper have been installed. VDO gauges have been installed, but we did not install the EGT sensor yet. No pictures. I'll take some tomorrow if I don't forget. Bench seat has been dropped off to get re-upholstered.

We've have an appointment for an MOT this Wednesday. Hopefully it'll go through without issues. We picked up one of my seats (PO of my truck replaced the bench) so it is drive-able while the bench is being reupholstered.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck did not pass inspection. Just some minor issues.

- Exhaust leak at crossover to manifold. We will fix this with some exhaust gum as it's getting a custom stainless exhaust in the near future anyway.
- VIN on frame could not be found. We found it.
- Steering pump and gear where wet and had drops on it. It was from spilling when replacing the pump. Some brake clean and a rag cleaned that up.
- Seatbelt can not be used. So apparently you can't have a seatbelt where there is no seat. We'll just unbolt it and put it back in when the bench is back.
- Transmission cooler lines touching exhaust manifold. Pretty sure they weren't before. I guess they settled there. A tiewrap will fix this.

We'll bring it back on Monday.

Here are some pictures I forgot to take for the posts above. I know you all like pictures.

IMG_20210908_102530.jpg IMG_20210908_102609.jpg IMG_20210908_102546.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The truck did not pass inspection. Just some minor issues.

- Exhaust leak at crossover to manifold. We will fix this with some exhaust gum as it's getting a custom stainless exhaust in the near future anyway.
- VIN on frame could not be found. We found it.
- Steering pump and gear where wet and had drops on it. It was from spilling when replacing the pump. Some brake clean and a rag cleaned that up.
- Seatbelt can not be used. So apparently you can't have a seatbelt where there is no seat. We'll just unbolt it and put it back in when the bench is back.
- Transmission cooler lines touching exhaust manifold. Pretty sure they weren't before. I guess they settled there. A tiewrap will fix this.

We'll bring it back on Monday.

Here are some pictures I forgot to take for the posts above. I know you all like pictures.

View attachment 844569 View attachment 844570 View attachment 844571
That isn't a bad report... I almost wonder if the droopy cooler lines and the seatbelt situation wasn't a nice distraction for the inspector. Hopefully they will just look at those five things - and help you out the door!

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That isn't a bad report... I almost wonder if the droopy cooler lines and the seatbelt situation wasn't a nice distraction for the inspector. Hopefully they will just look at those five things - and help you out the door!
Once they start the MOT inspection they have to put it in the system. Once they do, they can get tagged for a random inspection by the authorities and the vehicle will have to stay there. The MOT inspector can loose his license over this. Some are less paranoid then others, but it's been getting worse the last couple of years. In the past I've had MOT inspectors who just trusted me and let is pass without question. I guess those are the ones that made it the way it is.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Once they start the MOT inspection they have to put it in the system. Once they do, they can get tagged for a random inspection by the authorities and the vehicle will have to stay there. The MOT inspector can loose his license over this. Some are less paranoid then others, but it's been getting worse the last couple of years. In the past I've had MOT inspectors who just trusted me and let is pass without question. I guess those are the ones that made it the way it is.
Similar things happen here. The stupid people ruin things for everyone else...

Most often, the inspectors here in the states will come to the vehicle to inspect it. I imagine there are inspectors with larger areas to cover who don't operate like that - out in the county possibly - or out in the country. My experience has been good so far. I keep them hydrated and have places to work where they can stay clean or a place to cleanup afterward. I figure if I treat them like real humans, it sure can't hurt!

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He's good to go onto the public road again! MOT passed.

Right after passing the MOT, we drove up to the exhaust shop. We have a price and a date. The 10th of October she will be getting a stainless exhaust.. They say they only need to keep it for one day. Stainless crossover and turbo-back.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday we dropped off the truck at the exhaust shop. It should be done today. We also picked up the bench. It looks great. As soon as the truck is back, it is going in.

Photo from Clint Rutjes(7).jpg

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have installed the couch today. Looks great!

IMG_20211012_183317.jpg

We might go back and have him give a go at the dash. Door panels he already said no to. Maybe we can buy some material and do it ourselves?

The exhaust looks good. Not completely happy with it though.

IMG_20211012_155739.jpg IMG_20211012_155746.jpg IMG_20211012_155753.jpg IMG_20211012_155801.jpg

Niek is going to give them a call tomorrow. The end should've come out to the side just outside of the rear wheel. We're also not very happy with the bend there. Other then that, it looks and sounds good.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We have installed the couch today. Looks great!

View attachment 847793

We might go back and have him give a go at the dash. Door panels he already said no to. Maybe we can buy some material and do it ourselves?

The exhaust looks good. Not completely happy with it though.

View attachment 847795 View attachment 847796 View attachment 847799 View attachment 847794

Niek is going to give them a call tomorrow. The end should've come out to the side just outside of the rear wheel. We're also not very happy with the bend there. Other then that, it looks and sounds good.
Heck of a welder.
Those are nice beads...

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yesterday I was riding a long with Niek. After a hard acceleration at a stoplight the truck died. It wouldn't start. Checked fuel lines and confirmed fuel to injectors and after a couple of tries it started and ran fine. I'm guessing air is getting into the fuel lines? It has done this like 3 times before. We will be replacing all fuel lines soon. We are discussing converting to a Blazer/Suburban tank while we are at it.

I also ordered a Carter P4601HP to replace the P4070 on my K1500. I'm getting to low of a pressure with it. We will be mounting the P4070 in his truck, replacing the Facet Cube the previous owner installed. As he doesn't have a very restrictive pre- and after filter setup like I do, it should work for him.

Rutjes

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it is an electrical lift pump. Facet Cube at the moment. Will be replaced by a Carter P4070.

Today we found a leak at one of the injectors. To me it seemed to be leaking from the injector body. We took it out, loosened the body halves and re-tightened them. New copper seal added as well. No more leak.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks