• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nightmare for a noob…….

Northcross

So a week ago my son and I picked up a 2008 M1151A1. Had some heating issues with it early on driving home so I flushed the coolant and took it to a local guy who found a fuel pump leak and a somewhat minor oil pan gasket/dipstick leak but tested the cooling system to find no problems with it. He called with an update and said he’d order the parts and assured me it was ok to drive it over the weekend.

Less than 24hrs later, I’m traveling at about 45mph a mile from home and hear a knocking sound followed by a billowing cloud of white/gray smoke and loss of power. After pulling over I noticed more oil leaking and either fuel and/or oil leaking from the air filter. (Looking at the video now, it looks to be diesel leaking)

After a short call with AAA and about 5-10 minutes I tried restarting. Sounded like it wanted to crank but wasn’t getting any fuel. I also noticed the temp gauge was pushing 230 while on RUN even though I was nowhere near this.

I tried searching the forum for answers and it seems there’s been some older posts with 998’s having a similar issue but no follow posts with answers. Not sure if I’m just searching wrong or maybe I’m just too scared to search blown engine(?)

Any help is appreciated, thanks guys!

Attachments

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If leaking oil at the air filter it could be a transmission fluid leak due to a vampire leak . Check your tranny fuild kevel. Check to see if the fluid in the air filter housing is red tranny fluid. If so it would explain a number of issues.

Mark

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel pump has a "vent" attached to all the drive components, it can literally fill the geared hubs, diffs, trans/transfer and possibly the engine with diesel.
Driving it without fully servicing it and paying attention to the little things can cost you dearly.
Start by checking the fluid and the fluid levels in all the aforementioned items.

Thunderbirds

The fuel pump has a "vent" attached to all the drive components, it can literally fill the geared hubs, diffs, trans/transfer and possibly the engine with diesel.
Driving it without fully servicing it and paying attention to the little things can cost you dearly.
Start by checking the fluid and the fluid levels in all the aforementioned items.
Would you say it would be worth disconnecting that vent from the system and routing it to the side to avoid all the calamity? The thought of running all the components gives me nightmares...

Last edited:

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a bad fuel pump that I feel contaminated one of my diffs. Even had fuel dripping from vent line when I replaced the pump. Hasn’t happened again since replacing the pump. I would recheck fluids for contamination.

Thunderbirds

ECV’s and REV’s already route the vent back to the fuel filler neck, this is a non-issue.
That is probably the best solution. I get the vent line is supposed to take care of pressure differences, but what if you wanted to keep some sort of control measure to see if it is pushing fuel out and the failed pump isn't showing other clear signs of failure? A puddle of diesel somewhere or an overflow container that can be inspected would give that positive signal. Or are fuel pump failures unmissable in it's own right? Sorry for my ignorance, haven't had that yet and don't know the symptoms.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is probably the best solution. I get the vent line is supposed to take care of pressure differences, but what if you wanted to keep some sort of control measure to see if it is pushing fuel out and the failed pump isn't showing other clear signs of failure? A puddle of diesel somewhere or an overflow container that can be inspected would give that positive signal. Or are fuel pump failures unmissable in it's own right? Sorry for my ignorance, haven't had that yet and don't know the symptoms.
RWH said the ECV and REV have that vent line connected to the fuel fill line so that would not be an issue, if the pump was pushing fuel out the vent it would simply return to the tank so what I said earlier is not valid in you case.

Did you buy this from Iron Planet or an individual? you need to check is if the engine has a CDR valve and what was done with the demiled fording system.

Also if that is not diesel coming out of the intake you need to figure out what it is, as mentioned earlier it is possibly trans fluid.

It is irrelevant where you bought the truck the very first thing you should have done is check/replace all the fluids and filters.
This would include the geared hubs, diffs, transmission, transfer case, engine, fuel filter and grease the steering components.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to hijack this thread, but I have a M998 and would like some clarifications to avoid the fuel pump vent problem. Is the correct procedure on a M998 to disconnect the vent line at the fuel pump and just then plug both ends? That simple?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to hijack this thread, but I have a M998 and would like some clarifications to avoid the fuel pump vent problem. Is the correct procedure on a M998 to disconnect the vent line at the fuel pump and just then plug both ends? That simple?
What I do is replace the piece of hose eliminating the tee going to the pump then run a separate vent line from the pump up to the same place the system vent terminates near the air filter, I suspect if you plug the vent at the pump and it failed it would fill the crank case with diesel.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any ideas where I should start? Injectors? All the fluids were done about 200 miles ago…….
We have seen it time and time again on this forum where someone buys a HMMWV and was told all the fluids and filters had been changed only to find out later that was total BS, you can assume it is BS unless you bought it from a reputable dealer of which there are very few.

Have you checked the fluid levels in the transfer case, transmission and engine, not running the trans should be near full or can be over full as the torque converter feeds back into the transmission. the transfer case should be just up to the fill plug.

Northcross

RWH said the ECV and REV have that vent line connected to the fuel fill line so that would not be an issue, if the pump was pushing fuel out the vent it would simply return to the tank so what I said earlier is not valid in you case.

Did you buy this from Iron Planet or an individual? you need to check is if the engine has a CDR valve and what was done with the demiled fording system.

Also if that is not diesel coming out of the intake you need to figure out what it is, as mentioned earlier it is possibly trans fluid.

It is irrelevant where you bought the truck the very first thing you should have done is check/replace all the fluids and filters.
This would include the geared hubs, diffs, transmission, transfer case, engine, fuel filter and grease the steering components.
I bought from an individual.
We have seen it time and time again on this forum where someone buys a HMMWV and was told all the fluids and filters had been changed only to find out later that was total BS, you can assume it is BS unless you bought it from a reputable dealer of which there are very few.

Have you checked the fluid levels in the transfer case, transmission and engine, not running the trans should be near full or can be over full as the torque converter feeds back into the transmission. the transfer case should be just up to the fill plug.
I had the truck at a mechanic on Friday to go thru it all. The consensus was a leak from the fuel pump and oil pan gasket in addition to a o-ring where the dipstick meets the pan. However- as a future warning to whomever may find this thread, stay away from a private seller who lives in Safford and Showlow AZ who’s last name starts with an M. 😂

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter

I had the truck at a mechanic on Friday to go thru it all. The consensus was a leak from the fuel pump and oil pan gasket in addition to a o-ring where the dipstick meets the pan. However- as a future warning to whomever may find this thread, stay away from a private seller who lives in Safford and Showlow AZ who’s last name starts with an M. 😂
It’s a buyer’s responsibility to have a used vehicle checked out before purchase, not afterward and when it fails blame the seller.
i promise you, I can find something wrong on ANY truck that comes into my shop, regardless of what mechanic previously worked on it.
Everything you listed as a problem identified from the shop is no big deal…and a bad diaphragm in the lift pump is 100% normal for these lift pumps.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Friday you were not puking oil out of the air filter, things change, you still need to check the ones listed to see what is going wrong.
You can also open the water drain valve on the fuel filter to see if you have any fuel flow while cranking the engine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks