• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Nightmare Jouney

dmetalmiki

You do NOT want a journey the likes of which we just experienced. (from a previouse post) the Zill 131 with it's cummins turbo deisel full air brakes drop side body, Plus a camping trailer, I had swapped (unhappily in the wonderfull hindsight) for the Kraz 255b.

So the saga starts last week. After checking arround we set of to take the zill and the deuce some 200 miles to the new Garaging for my trucks. After 20 miles " honk honk, light flashing behind" my lad says the rear tire on the camping trailer has an "egg" on the inside of the trailer tire! S..t...Back we go , and journey abandoned we replace Both tires on the trailer. (as most of the repair kit was in the new location we used the Mk.7. rim splitter. to remove the old tires (the Zill rear wheels!. ) so after another check arround we set off again last monday. We had travelled 98 miles when my lad pulls into a farmyard. I get allongside..He is waving..???? I go look..Its the....GEAR LEVER! hmm.."oh and the brakes seem odd" he says..I try the brakes <HISSSS>! a look under the bonnet (hood) and the Brake air supply to the tanks from the compressor BROKEN! so now the zills going nowhere. We limp to a nearby farm and the owner sez we can leave it there. On the way there the clutch is now "letting itself release"...obviously it does NOT have the new seals fitted to the slave and operating cylinders. (as promised)

So two days 180 miles of back and forth we have a "manufactured" (bodged) gear stick. We repair the air line. We set off...The gears feel AWFULL! what the.***** NOW? BANG the air pipe shears???? SO..we look under the truck..the gearbox is (isn't! (held in with ONE bolt!)) The holes in the retaing plate DO NOT match up (so never had more at any time!) BIG bodge up! engine and gearbox flex enough to break the gear lever and air pipe. * and now the alternator stops charging. It is boiling over like crazy as well. Back to the parking space (sympathy from the farmer!) We carry on solo in the deuce. But did we MAKE IT? WHAT? with ###tons of equitment and the ( fork truck!!) YOU BET IT DID..never missed a beat 14 miles to the gallon (yes14) english gallon slightly more than U.S. remember but still MORE than exellent. Drove and pulled not much different to EMPTY!! Good braking nice positive steering Air power steering I know..but..nice ASSURING driver..Rode straight and level. ALL this on multifuel (with used filtered AQTF. ) Sad sad experience..the work and stress (at my age at any rate 10 out of 10) BUT honestly? REALLY appreciate and thankfull to be ABLE to do it all without any ill effects. The deuce is in its new home. with my other trucks. Monday next we set off again ( I WILL take pictures and video this time (as with all hassle last didnt have the time to think about picture taking) and it was absalutely puring down with rain all that time. Anyway..I know its a "sorry" read..But I believe and ACCEPT the hard with the easy. and after all this was a first (fortunately) (no not really as) all my other stuff IS geared to run the distances. Loaded or otherwise. Had thought the zill was (according to the previouse tales descriptions and promises. Ho well, so mucjh for them Will post the obviouse when we return on teusday. (under a new thread "THE OBVIOUSE") in the post relating to that journey And the organising of the trucks and equiptmen at the new Workshop home.
Found some picture but all I get yet again is the dreaded "Not logged in.you dont have the authority and wrong post section"
Hmm I AM , I have , it isnt. Tried 3 times post later when "IT" wakes up as messages to moderators dont get a response.

Attachments

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
when I make a post, I always copy the text before submitting the post. That way when the problem occurs, all you need to do is log back in and paste the text. I like your truck.

dmetalmiki

Thank you

for the comments. and yes (6 sangrias 2 ginger wines and tinni of Russian Perna ,later I de-neved down!). We aim to complete that part of the mission Monday. Will post the conclusion And pictures then. (yes! concusion) as we have a motto here..We are the Kiddiz..We have the tekno...WE can't BE BEAT!

That zill would be nice when we (might) fix it.. but with all the other trucks I might well just sell it on after necassary repairs. ZIL.131. Cummins turbo diese. 6 speed.gearbox. Full air brakes. drop side (bedford) body. diff locks. 6x6 HI-low and diff locks.

Comfi noisless cab. cumfi seating. good heater. Exellent effortless power steering.
Central tire infaltion system. (which does not leak and works fine.

But I will stay with my U.S. of A. Stuff i'm thinking.

michigandon

Even after reading all the negatives, I'm still envious of you guys over there who get to play with our hardware AND the Eastern Block stuff!

duncan

I feel with you man, I just had a set of planetary gears in the tatra drive train break & burn out on the german highway, on the first day of a 3+ week vacation. Had to trailer it back and now have to take apart the drivetrain. Apparently a bad week for the eastern europe trucks :roll: Took quite a few beers and vodkas to get over that one.

Fix the ZIL, dont sell it ;)

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks