• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

NJ pines run this sunday

nickd

Well, this was my first outing with the Deuce. Met a great bunch of guys. Unimogs are awsome vehicles. We climed some hills with ruts and such. Had the Duece articulated (didn't know the rear wheels moved that much) We went swimming and in the mud. Ended the day with a broken steering box. Many thanks to everyone especially marksgarage2! He flat towed me out of the pines including a cojoined swim. The deuce performed well except for the failed steering box. The pictures will only tell part of the story!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a lot of fun! Wish I lived a little closer to the action.
That steering box bit concerns me, did you have any trouble with it before?

nickd

Bjorn, the only trouble I had was about an hour before the wheel stiffened up alot and we noticed the steering column had moved at the dash connection. We loosened the clamp and slid the column back to the paint line and it was back to normal. The real problem surfaced when the box gave out completely and the steering wheel spins freely. Unfortunatly that happened on a winding trail. We jacked up the front axle, chained the pittman arm and drag link to the frame and bumper because the wheels would not track and Mark dragged me to his house. You had to be there to appreciate the adventure!

I will be going to Murry's this week to pick up a new steering box. I am thinking I should pick up a take off steering box with the steering column as an assembly. Any suggestions? Any pointers? I would like to bring everything I need to make a field repair to get the deuceon the road. You do not appreciate steering untill you dont have any.

CaptainRPM

I have done a stering box in my duece when i had it and it was a real pain in the butt the box and column are one piece i had to split the box to put it in.It has 4 bolts but that dont pop the column off the box its just a worm gear that walks out. My buds father works for fort dix and in 20 years never seen the inside of a box they dont take them apart they just pull or lift the motor to put new box and column in in one piece with out liftin or pullin motor i diddent see any other way of doin it.I paid 250 for column and box it was one piece all the way to the wheel from (dave) eastern surpluss.I live rite by mark so if thats where you guys are doin this i can stop by and give a hand and maybe learn somthing if you guys have a better way of doin it.

Gene

nickd

Thanks for the reply. I picked up a take off replacement from Murray's and will remove the old studs that held it to the frame and clean it up as required. I hope to be at Marks this weekend.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That was an EXCELLENT weekend adventure. You took your family, right? So, now that the wife has experienced a break down AND recovery, you have a very short window of opportunity...

Nows your chance!! Convert over to power steering. "But HONEY, it was only an extra $$$, and now even YOU can drive the deuce. Uh, not that you HAVE to, but you could!"

That's what I'm telling my wife and I hope she will buy it. Hey, ya gotta take your shots when the opportunity presents itself!

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3094&highlight=oil+grade

The link above is from gringeltaube (Gerhard) who did his. Used a multifuel 5 ton power steering PUMP, which bolts right up. Used a Ross HF54 power steering head. Fabbed up a little different steering wheel connection, as the Ross is a u-joint type connection. He explains what he did and how. He also included numerous pictures.

Now, all I gotta do is find the used multi 5 ton power steering pump.

jim

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You know, there is un upgrade to the steering box bolts......

I think the originals have dished heads....if your truck still has those you need to replace them with the modern upgrade......I might have the part #'s around here somewhere......

marksgarage2

After the gravel pit we hit the mud 18 miles away. Nickd had a problem with his steering but we thought we fixed it. We decided to hit a very tight trail about 6 miles long. Big puddles and mud. Lots of fun, until Nick lost his steering box completely. We tryed everything to fix it but it was done. We ended up chaining up the steering and hooking up Nicks towbar to my deuce. I towed him 15 miles to safety. We really think he was trying to save on fuel. We were all busting his stones about that! Having just met him that morn he was very cool about the whole adventure. This sat we are going to change his box and get his truck home. Wait till he sees where we are taking him next time!

Attachments

mangus580

Looking back at the pics..... I assume thats nicks deuce (tan).... with the towbar mounted on the bumper? nick... you got close up pics of that?

nickd

I do not have pictures of the tow bar mounting but maybe one of the other guys on the trip has a shot taken as we all were working on the steering box. It is a home design. I used solid steel round stock. I drilled 3 holes in the top of the bumper to allow the round stock to be welded to the inside of the bottom of the bumper and I also welded the round stock on both top and bottom around the hole on the top of the bumper. The round stock is the size of the large pin that is at the ring end of the towbar. The other end has 2 more pieces of round stock that go through the adjustment holes. I used 2 pieces on the other end because I had trouble with getting the tow bar on and off. By splitting the other end it was easier to line up and thats just the way it worked out. My original plan was to have both arms of the tow bar stacked but as you can see it didn't work out that way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks