• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No alts, no starting

cheiser666

Im having trouble understanding the schematic. If my alternators are removed will I loose power to my purple starter wire and headlights?

muddobber40

Nope. Are you gettting power everywhere else needed? make sure the blackout light switch is up. if not you will not have service lights. Make sure the under dash starter relay is there and functioning or you will not be able to crank the engine over by the key. Make sure none of the fusible links are burnt that supply in cab power at the black junction block above and to the right of the air cleaner on the fire wall. Also, make sure your harness connections are good and clean (no corrosion or bent tabs) where they bolt together joing the inside and outside and that the bolt is tight. Also, make sure the fusible link that supply's the 24V to the under dash starter relay is good and that youre getting 24V at the relay (red wire).

Last edited:

cheiser666

I have power to:
- junction block on the fire wall on both poles.
-red wire at the starter.
-red wire on the starter relay
-purple/wht wire on the starter relay when i turn the key.
- all red wires that would be connected to the alternators if they were in place.

I do not have power at the purple wire on the starter when i turn the key, i do not have power to my fuse block.

When i turn the key the buzzer comes on, i hear the glow plug relay clicking, and the coolant light comes on momentarily.

I need to check for fusible links between the junction plate and the fuse block. (if there are any).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really need to start ONE thread and post all of your truck issues there. That way everyone will know what has previously been addressed.

You are having multiple electrical issues (typical of the CUCV) and need to start from square one and work your way thru the system.

90% of the time is is caused by dirty/corroded connections or loose grounds.

No the alternators missing will not cause power loss to the fusebox and the purple starter wire.