• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No brakes

nuljas23

Brakes worked fine one day and not the next. Pedal goes the whole way to the floor, air system builds and holds air just fine but when you depress the brake pedal you can hear air leaking out of a little mushroom capped valve on the end of an airline against the passenger side firewall in the engine compartment. I'll post pics of the suspected valve if someone with knowledge of the brake system wouldn't mind chiming in I'd appreciate it. Truck is a 1968 M35-A2 white multi fuel.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingvan911

Sounds like the master cylinder if the pedal goes to the floor. How's the fluid level in the master? Any leaks anywhere? Some more experienced guys will chime in with more info. Most people say working on them isn't hard.

TGP (IL)

I think you better open the little door on the floor board in front
Of the Drivers seat that exposes the master cylinder and check your brake fluid.

Tom

elkhtr

There are remote reservoir kits out there that eliminate the pain of going through the little trap door, removing vent line , etc, every time you go for a spin.
On my m810 I put it right on the cab corner brace, first thing you see when you climb in the truck.

Jeepsinker

If you have the sticker denoting " silicone brake fluid only" use only Dot5 brake fluid. It is obvious that you are new here, so don't be afraid to ask questions, but don't be bull- headed. Listen to the advice you are given here. We only want to help you.

ageregunner

The remote resevoir works great. I installed one on the firewall, just below the heater duct. I can check level and fill just by lowering side panel. Paid a bit over $50 on ebay. It is made by Wilwood who makes brake components.

Hitman

but it should not come up intill they act like that thats how you run off new guys and and the ones that may have a ? just my 2 cents

rustystud

If you still have the problem after checking your fluid level. Then your "air-pack" needs rebuilding. Also if your that low on brake fluid, your leaking it somewhere and need to find it and fix it. More then likely a wheel cylinder is leaking at one of the wheels.

Jeepsinker

Yes, the brake fluid leaks on these trucks are most commonly the wheel cylinders. If you plan to drive the truck on the street it is pretty much a safety requirement that you service all six hubs, and simultaneously either rebuild or replace all of the brake wheel cylinders. I can 100% promise you will find a few cylinders that are leaking, or rusted up internally, or both. You can still get them at Napa for about $28 each.

jasonjc

I dove deuce's in the army , but it was not until I had my own did I find the master cylinder! I did drive M939's more and read that -10 cover to cover.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks