• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

no clicking with new glow plugs

BigDuck

I used ac60, i didnt even mess with any other wires i just replaced the 3/16 spades with 1.4 spades and replaced all my glowplugs, they all came right out no issues with any being stuck or anything like that.

Midnight Rider

Actually mind did the same thing back when I replaced 3 bad glowplugs. I never had any problems running so I just ignored the fact that the clicking went away.

I believe that it has come back somehow. I've noticed it making some sound, but it's not as loud as it was before.

I believe I used AC60 plugs as well. I think I even posted up something about it too.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could be that the monitor voltage to the glow plug card is not as high as it was prior to changing the glow plugs.

A properly functioning glow plug card will beging to cycle the power to the glow plugs as the voltages increases on the glow plug side of the relay. As the voltage increases on the glow plug side, the controller will cycle the power to reduce the amount of time the plugs are heating. Higher voltages can be from open plugs, bad connections or possibly a higher than normal output from the charging system.

So if your glow plug relay is cycling, one may want to check to see if there are any open glow plugs or check the charging system to ensure that it is supplying the proper voltage. Higher voltages at the plugs will shorten the life of them.

Looking at a schematic of the glow plug controller card itself will show that it is using several inputs to determine the relay closure time. The resistance value from the engine temperature sensor and the voltage to the plugs are two variables that determine the time the relay is closed and if it cycles or not.

One can assume that when defective glow plugs are replaced, this lowered the monitor voltage to the glow plug card causing it to stop cycling the glow plug relay.
The glow plug controller card is smarter than most realize.
Karl

Sasquatch

Great explanation. Just changed all the glowplugs in my m1008 and noticed the same thing. Turns out all 8 were bad, but it was still turning over as long as the block heater was plugged in.

So now no clicking at start up, but once it starts, which it does in under a second now, I hear the after cycle click on and off and see the voltmeter move accordingly.

1waterdog

I just put in the AC60's and pulled the resistor. I ran a 10 gauge wire to the 12v block by the relay. Mine does not click anymore either I thought maybe I did not have enough voltage or amperage going to it. It still started at -8 but not at -19.9. Sometimes I can hear a little click but not the slam as before. When I can get into town I will replace that 10 gauge wire with a bigger one.

Zero_cool

I just changed my glow plugs i had wellmen 070 and i put in ac60g there is no more clicking and i noticed a little bit of smoke comeing from what ever it is in the center back firewall. i dont have my camera or i would take pics. its two radiator looking things on the center of the back firwall behind the black cover and red cables coming out from each end. all i did was change the glow plugs, any idea whats going on?

1waterdog

That thing that is smoking, just pull it out and throw it away :). It sounds like your resistor, and they heat up, maybe you have a little oil on it. Look up resistor bypass, you may want to get rid of it, unless you plan on being jumped with 24 volts. Mine make a real nice paper weight!:jumpin:

kentuckycucv

Zero_cool... I just found this thread because I too just replaced my Swellmans 70 with new ACg60 plugs ..... I turned the key on waited for the wait light and I saw SMOKE! so I turned it off. I figured I did something wrong. Smoke comming from center firewal looks like resister block. I was thinking that maybe since less than half of my plugs were working maybe with 8 new plugs i was getting more resisitance and more heat .... But I have no idea. What is the Smoke??? did I fry something??? My clicking relay stopped and my voltage guage didnt drop with the relay 5-6 second cycleing it has always done. Any Ideas?

kentuckycucv

Ok... Well I relized I was right about the risiser block getting hot. I checked all my wires and no shorts. Only 4 wellmans were working before. My truck started. My AC 60G seem like they take longer to heat up. Also seems like my GP relay stays on for 10-15 seconds (im watching my volt meter) and after my start my GP relay didnt keep cycling like it did before. More will be revealed, but the truck is acting ...different.:-?

Zero_cool

Sorry about the late reply im on vacation and have been sleeping in late. The smoking in my truck I think was just from the metal heating up more due to the new style glow plugs. After turning my key on it now takes about 10 seconds for the light to shut off and another 15 seconds for the click.my truck doesnt cyle anymore iether i think it only did that becaise of bad glow plugs.truck runs better then my 2004 gmc now. Sorry if I didn't answer all your questions im doing this from I phone for the first time and can't see your other messages

kentuckycucv

Thanks, i had an initial freak out because of the smoke. usually smoke is not good...When you just have the key turned to ON...It was the resistors getting used. The smoke smelled like an old furnice coming on at the first of winter. Anyway It seems the GPs stay energised for a good while. I let them heat till the relay clicks off then I start, and she fires right up. I am burning Vegie oil. My old GPs had a white ash on the ends, I wonder if thats from the WVO.

Attachments

kentuckycucv

Ok 1 month later my glow plug relay is clicking off and on and my voltage is not dropping. My Glow plugs are not getting power.... exactly one month... was i supose to do the restor bypass with AC60Gs. What is it Now?
Relay?
Resistor Block?
Control Card?
Burnt up ac60s?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok 1 month later my glow plug relay is clicking off and on and my voltage is not dropping. My Glow plugs are not getting power.... exactly one month... was i suppose to do the resistor bypass with AC60Gs. What is it Now?
Relay?
Resistor Block?
Control Card?
Burnt up ac60s?

Not getting power? Did you use a volt meter at the output side of the GP relay to confirm this?

It sounds to me like you had either a bad connection or a GP burn out. Either one will cause the rest of the GPs to burn out in rapid succession with the stock 24 volt supply thought the resistor.

I would suggest resupplying the GP relay with 12v, that way, when one GP fails, the rest do not get over voltage.

kentuckycucv

I read on a couple of other posts that the AC60gs would jsut go in a stock system.... That 12 volt bypass was not nessesary ... i read that AC60Gs were "self regulating"
Well Im reposting here... they are burnt up/falling apart after 1 month....
lets make this clear @@@@

:x DO NOT USE AC60Gs if you did not do the 12volt risistor bypass.

(Im reposting pics here and started a new thread) I only got 2 out... Lets see if it was true about them not swelling...maybe that was an OPINION too.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You do not need to resupply , to use AC60 GPs.

kentuckycucv

Well After I chilled out I found my 3 good wellmans I put in my tool box and reinstalled them. And the truck fired right up... I will fool with it later. Starts good in warm weather.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks