• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No crank on the 004a

SurfinElvis

Finally have the 004 ready for a test, but not so fast...
The electric fuel pumps and float switch, etc have been removed. My unit is fed from two small tanks which are mounted on the top of the unit and pumped through a mechanical, block mounted fuel lift pump.
I attempted to crank the motor and can hear a loud "clunk" as if the starter gear is hitting the flywheel or my solenoid is louder than any I have ever heard.
Questions:
1. I am using two brand new 12v batteries, wired correctly, each with only 540 cold cranking amps. Is this enough amperage to spin the motor over? The motor is free as I am able to rotate it with a breaker bar.
2. With all of the previously installed fuel pump wires and float switch wire disconnected, will this prevent the unit from cranking?

Ken_86gt

Since you are hearing a loud "clunk" it seems to me that you don't have an issue due to your fuel pump wiring, at least not yet. I wonder if your new batteries are not fully charged. You could try boosting one of the batteries with your car and jumper cables to see if it will turn over.

Triple Jim

After some successful runs, my 003A started doing the same thing. Upon disassembling the starter, I found that the grease between the grooved motor shaft and the inner surface of the Bendix drive was like tar, so the gear wasn't quite going far enough to allow the solenoid to make its main contacts. I got the loud clunk, but no power to the motor itself. I don't know if the starter in the 004 is the same, but the non-reduction type in my 003 was very easy to take apart, clean and lube and put back together.

Your batteries, if charged, are plenty big to crank the engine.

Last edited:

leedawg

TripleJim, that was it. I have the starter cranking now! Now to add diesel fuel and prime the fuel system. Been waiting three years to get to this point! Thanks!
Three years to get it starte?? Wow long time in coming. You need to take some video of this and post it up here. Why did you modify the fuel system so much did not want to source the parts for the stock one?

SurfinElvis

Three years, but didn't focus on the genset until recently. My fuel system is all manual now, designed to be started on diesel and manually switched to wvo once warmed up. Plan to grid-tie once all is functioning and back feed the grid using VA's net metering law. Completed sewerzuk's single phase conversion, just waiting on resistors to tune in the gauges.

Triple Jim

I'm very interested in what you learn about the economics of selling power. WVO is pretty cheap or free, but maintenance, time, etc..

SurfinElvis

My goal is to operate the set for whole-house power. I currently have a manual disconnect at my service entrance to allow 100% grid or 100% genset power. Once I have fine-tuned everything, I hope to run the set enough to become a net export producer, just enought to offset most of my electric bill. I have been running wvo in my diesels for over 6 years, have a fairly efficient filtering process and the offers to take oil from restaurants are plentiful. The interconnection equipment will hopefully not be cost-prohibitive. I was glad to wait a few years since VA recently changed its law to allow up to 20kw alternative energy systems to be allowed to net meter. The law used to limit alternative energy producers to 10kw. The delivery charge and taxes/fees/etc will require production to be much more than usage to offset the electric bill in total, but it will be fun to try!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks