• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Garage, Need Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmh4x4

When I was talking to both JC Taylor and Haggerties, I suggested that they persue a non garaged policy, even if it was liability only, they would have a decent size market persuing them. No matter who I talked to at different levels of management, no one wanted to hear it. As one lady said, we make enough money doing what we currently do, why would we want to persue another avenue.

What puzzles me is their #1 concern of a non garaged vehicle is theft, then why not exclude theft from the policy for a truck not stored inside. They write the contracts, it would be easy enough to add that in.

IHASFIP

I have State Farm. Insured as an antique. No mileage limitations, no storage limitiations, no towing limitations and insured for 4000$ . But only liability. Are you ready for this? It costs me 3.67$ a month. They have inspected the truck and have pictures on file, a copy of the title, as well as a copy of the registration. I also got a state inspection the other day. Just for the added assurance that I won't get pulled over by some rookie cop.

D

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those who have antique or historical insurance coverage even if they don't have any limits on mileage isn't there restrictions as to what you can do with your truck with historical/antique tags?

IHASFIP

No, the truck is valued for 4000$ in case of theft. It has minimum state liability coverage. 25,000$ collision and 50,000$ injury I think. They even have the gvw. So I know I am covered. I triple asked my agent.

D

jmh4x4

With historical tags you are not suppose to use it for profit or as a daily driver. The intent is for shows and public display. My theory is if I ever get stopped with a load of wood on the back or mulch, I am publicly displaying the historical capabilities of this antique while providing for a show in the process.

Green_gator

My deuce is insured through progressive. They know the size of the vehicle and they had no problem with liability coverage. I do not carry comprehensive and I pay the extra to have a standard plate on my truck. Will have to move the other deuce over to them as Haggerty will not renew unless I put the Shop Van in a garage.

OD_Coyote

Ditto on Gulfway. They do require that the truck be garaged and they are easy to deal with. I have had (2) different deuces insured by Gulfway and would recommend them.
I just insured my recently aquired 86 M35A2C with them (2) weeks ago and it was a hassle free process.

Gastrap

I got a quote from State Farm before I even bid on my Deuce on GL.
Antique, liability only... about $7/month with my multiple policy discounts. Had to send a picture in then & today, after 3 weeks, the underwriter has asked for more pictures. They wanted interior & engine pictures:roll: I asked again if they said anything about the weight & she said no, she had given them that info before. We'll see what happens, She said they wanted to make sure it "looked complete".

rlwm211

Insurance for a deuce

Hi Carnac;
I have JC Taylor for mine and it is 64 dollars a year and will be registered Historical when the sf97 arrives. I had to indicate I will "store" it in a garage, but the agent and I both agreed that is specifically regarding "off season" storage. I have a friend who has a big enough garage to house the truck so I will have that available if need be. Otherwise it is at my home for "repairs" and restoration. They limit the policy to 3K miles a year and non commerical use. With the policy I have full coverage including collision. I can get the truck in my "civilian garage" if I remove the ragtop and stack. I may end up doing that for the winter. It will fill up one side of a 24 x 24.
I have a very clean driving record and live in a very rural area so I believe it is not as difficult for me to get insurance as it is for someone who is in town. Minimum value for a vehicle is $3500 that they will cover. I have 100/300 limits and no fault as it is New York State (The evil Empire State).

rat4spd

Antique, liability only... about $7/month with my multiple policy discounts. Had to send a picture in then & today, after 3 weeks, the underwriter has asked for more pictures. They wanted interior & engine pictures:roll: I asked again if they said anything about the weight & she said no, she had given them that info before. We'll see what happens, She said they wanted to make sure it "looked complete".
The weight is where they get you. Make sure you have the agent tell the underwriter you are talking about a #14000 vehicle with a 2X,000 GVRW. They will want a commercial policy on it. Maybe it depends on the mood of the underwriter, I dont know. I have a commercial policy with all my bases covered.

IHASFIP

I also had to provide interior, underhood, and multiple exterior shots. Still no problems. I also found out that if I insure my Camaro, and my pick-up with them I will get a few more dollars off of my already ridiculously cheap insurance. Multi-car discount. :-D

D

Gastrap

The weight is where they get you. Make sure you have the agent tell the underwriter you are talking about a #14000 vehicle with a 2X,000 GVRW. They will want a commercial policy on it. Maybe it depends on the mood of the underwriter, I dont know. I have a commercial policy with all my bases covered.
I'll make sure. It would be reassuring to have something in print.

Gastrap

I also had to provide interior, underhood, and multiple exterior shots. Still no problems. I also found out that if I insure my Camaro, and my pick-up with them I will get a few more dollars off of my already ridiculously cheap insurance. Multi-car discount. :-D

D
Yes, I love the rates too. I've had State Farm for 25 years & have several vehicle policies, plus homeowners & never had a claim. Makes for a great rate:-D

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A friend has his deuce with State Farm. He has regular truck plate on it licensed at 26,000gvw. He has liability coverage. His premium for the deuce is $55.00 for a year. I questioned what limits he had on the deuce and he provided this rider to me for the Antique/collector portion of his policy.

Attachments

Last edited:

tjcouch

And to chime in - Gulfway, no garage $500,000 liability, <$200 yr.

All they wanted was pictures. . . . which of couse, I had about a million of. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks