• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Hot start on 8.3 CTA Cummins Turbo

VikingatWar

1991 M925A2 Turbo Cummins starts fine cold, runs fine, won't restart hot. If I let it sit for a while it starts again and runs fine. Transfer pump seems to work fine. When I open the drain on the fuel filter and crank the engine fuel comes out. Solenoid engages on crank. This obviously leaves a lot to be wrong but I am hoping it is something easy. Only a little more than 11,000 miles on odometer.

Thanks to all for any assistance.

VikingatWar

You couldn't humor me for a while with an easy fix? I agree, pressure gauge is a must. Any advice on type and where to "cut in" on the system? My H1 had this problem when I got it. It was the PMD (pump mounted driver) which is a common problem on the H1 turbos.

Thanks

tbone1004

I could have humoured you, but where's the fun in that :)

I'm not too familiar with the 8.3 so not sure which injection pump is on there, but if it's a VP44 it is prone to doing that exact sort of thing on its way out.

You want the gauge to be as close to the VP as possible, so tapped at the banjo nut is ideal.

http://www.dieselstuff.com/biglifitoinp.html

I assume that that is compatible with the 8.3 but I'd double check just in case. That is just for where to mount it so you'd have to supply your own gauge and sender obviously, but that may flow better than the existing system...

VikingatWar

I am researching online now. Initial searches are showing IP prices from $110 to $1300. I guess that finding the right one may be a little difficult. Gauges look to be easy to get.

Thanks.

tbone1004

yeah, definitely stick the gauge in there first because it may be something as simple as there is not good flow to the pump and freeing up the flow with that kit I linked you may help at least for the interim.

Ok I guess the 8.3 doesn't have the vp44 which is a good thing. I think it's a P7100 pump though, but could be a MW... I'm sure someone on here has access to the Cummins database and they can look up via the engine serial # and Cummins will be able to tell you exactly what is on that specific engine when they built it.

Last edited: