• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OH No Luck in Ohio

ToddJK

I tried my local independent insurance guy whom I have a lot of insurance with and he said it had to be written as a commercial policy and it was too expensive. While he was quoting me, I saw all of the posts on Hagerty and they quoted me $289.00 a year, so I went with that. After a few emails and today a phone call, they turned me down because I said I was going to store it in my shop on my farm. lol This is an army truck, built for off road and they didn't want to insure it if I was driving it off of paved roads. I explained that it was only a gravel drive about a mile long, wasn't good enough, still a NO.

Not sure why they are so picky about it, but they said they only insure items for shows and as show pieces. If you call Hagerty, you better use the correct wording or it will be a big fat NO. So now I am back to square one on insurance. I have a lot of insurance through State Farm as well, so I guess I will give them a try. I'm in the rental business, thus my need for a lot of insurance. I'm keeping my fingers crossed state farm will take care of me.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please offer them up!
Lot of it is the wording. I just tell them what they want to hear. Stored at or around the house, no off roading, no rallies, no hauling loads of anything beyond some dust that collected on it, ect. Insurance companies can be pretty shady at times. They won't tell you everything up front but once you mention one little thing, their tune completely changes and either the plan changes, the price, or they refuse to insure your vehicle.

mccullek

I can supply my insurance guys name and number, he is a writer for Hagerty. He will get it covered…we are in Ohio
Yes, please forward to me if you don't mind. A few people had mentioned Progressive, so I went to them, and low and behold, they go through Haggerty. I didn't realize this until I had filled out all of the information, but I was picky with my wording this time, so maybe they will approve it? If not, I would like the backup guy you are mentioning, just in case. Thanks!

DaneGer21

Yes, please forward to me if you don't mind. A few people had mentioned Progressive, so I went to them, and low and behold, they go through Haggerty. I didn't realize this until I had filled out all of the information, but I was picky with my wording this time, so maybe they will approve it? If not, I would like the backup guy you are mentioning, just in case. Thanks!
I’ll send you a PM

DaneGer21

Give him a short explanation on how you got his info and that he covers our Military vehicle. I’m sure he knows us off the top of his head. We are, Dane and Jen Brillhart. He’s super nice, responsive, and a quick worker.

Attachments

Grundy covered me, full coverage for like $230+\- a year. Though I did have to send in pics of it sitting in my shop. They told me they cover all MV with the exception of tanks. Hagerty didn’t require any pics or proof of it parked in a shop when I had them, but they were quite a bit more expensive initially. They have since given me much cheaper quotes, still more than Grundy, but since they jacked me around upfront cost wise and I am able to store it indoors I kept my annual policy with Grundy. They said it’s a one time quote, never goes up. What it costs you this year it will cost you the same in twenty years, as long as you don’t let it lapse. Plus they will never cancel it, or at least they say. So far so good.

ToddJK

Grundy covered me, full coverage for like $230+\- a year. Though I did have to send in pics of it sitting in my shop. They told me they cover all MV with the exception of tanks. Hagerty didn’t require any pics or proof of it parked in a shop when I had them, but they were quite a bit more expensive initially. They have since given me much cheaper quotes, still more than Grundy, but since they jacked me around upfront cost wise and I am able to store it indoors I kept my annual policy with Grundy. They said it’s a one time quote, never goes up. What it costs you this year it will cost you the same in twenty years, as long as you don’t let it lapse. Plus they will never cancel it, or at least they say. So far so good.
That's not.bad at all! I had to go with Hagerty since I don't store mine indoors and everybody else was more expensive. I told them I just wanted to use it.for parades and shows and be able to drive it a couple times to work a week or every other week. They told me I can get coverage if I was less than 2500 miles a year and I'm not doing any commercial hauling. Last year it was $460 something for full coverage, this year it went down to $439. After It got my $400 back from the insurance, some MI bill that was passed for MI drivers, I just put that towards my truck insurance so I paid $39 out of pocket for another year of insurance.

touareg62

Hello,
We bought a 2003 Steward Stevenson 1083A1 from Gov Surplus. Transaction was quick and smooth. EU within a week.
Now we come to the insurance part, which seems to be a bit of a slow road. We have tried Hagerty but vehicle is not old enough the underwriters told us.
We have Progressive as personal insurance, but they could not do either. So contacted Grundy, will see what they say. We live in Mohave County AZ.
So if someone has some tips or advice.

ToddJK

Hello,
We bought a 2003 Steward Stevenson 1083A1 from Gov Surplus. Transaction was quick and smooth. EU within a week.
Now we come to the insurance part, which seems to be a bit of a slow road. We have tried Hagerty but vehicle is not old enough the underwriters told us.
We have Progressive as personal insurance, but they could not do either. So contacted Grundy, will see what they say. We live in Mohave County AZ.
So if someone has some tips or advice.
Insurance companies can be so finicky. One office or agent will deny you but another of the same company will accept you. I would tell them it's mostly for a show piece and the occasional drive so they don't push me to get a commercial policy. I've had State Farm before no issues. Then when I moved to NE, I got Family something rather, don't remember, but they only insured me since I had a multi car policy and it was a limited policy. I know there are a lot of other fellas down your way, hopefully one of them chimes in as far as who in that area they use and then contact them. If one turns you down, try another office, even if it's the same company, one agent varies to another (all based on what price and policy fits you of course). Just have some pictures on hand as most will not have a clue as what that truck is at first.

mccullek

It’s wouldn’t let me PM you my screenshots, so I just posted them here
I contacted your guy, but he was not licensed in my state. I finally called my insurance guy back and asked him to try again for me and this time I used the correct wording and got the thing insured. I just told him since it was so hard to insure it, that I was only going to use it as a hobby to restore and tinker with it and maybe drive it around town occasionally.

If you tell them you are using it for off-road or to haul or pull anything, you are toast. You will need commercial insurance if you use that wording and that is super expensive, or at least it is in my state. Haggerty and the collectors insurance guys are only going to insure you if you are buying it to restore it, look at it, and drive it on rare occasions.

So be sure to keep this in mind if you call about insurance and don't want to go the commercial route.

DaneGer21

I contacted your guy, but he was not licensed in my state. I finally called my insurance guy back and asked him to try again for me and this time I used the correct wording and got the thing insured. I just told him since it was so hard to insure it, that I was only going to use it as a hobby to restore and tinker with it and maybe drive it around town occasionally.

If you tell them you are using it for off-road or to haul or pull anything, you are toast. You will need commercial insurance if you use that wording and that is super expensive, or at least it is in my state. Haggerty and the collectors insurance guys are only going to insure you if you are buying it to restore it, look at it, and drive it on rare occasions.

So be sure to keep this in mind if you call about insurance and don't want to go the commercial route.
Sorry, I must have thought you were the OP and from Ohio. It was worth a shot…

Anyways, congrats on insurance!

ToddJK

Exactly. On my Hagerty policy, I'm suppose to keep it 2,500 miles or less a year, but I've done 4 times that. They won't know and if something was to happen, it was that one time I decided to take it out to a parking lot car show and bought a thing or two from the store who's parking lot we used 😉. I wouldn't do any major hauling with that policy as that can backfire, but it's good enough for a few things around the house and hauling some wmo.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks