• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No More Drilling Hub Screws!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was dreading replacing the wheel cylinders on my 6217 Maint. truck after hearing all the horror stories about the three hub screws on each wheel! So I did a little research on screw removal, and found a old mechanic video on screw removal. He said use a large flat punch and good sized hammer and smack the screw on either side of the screw slot. I did just that and surprise, surprise the screws came right out! I did screw up on the passenger side front wheel however, I sprayed it with Kroil Oil first and it is not responding! So strike the screw first then you can oil it if you see the need. The screws on the other three tires offered no resistance to my screw driver. Hope this helps, I hate see people give up and drill out the screws.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was dreading replacing the wheel cylinders on my 6217 Maint. truck after hearing all the horror stories about the three hub screws on each wheel! So I did a little research on screw removal, and found a old mechanic video on screw removal. He said use a large flat punch and good sized hammer and smack the screw on either side of the screw slot. I did just that and surprise, surprise the screws came right out! I did screw up on the passenger side front wheel however, I sprayed it with Kroil Oil first and it is not responding! So strike the screw first then you can oil it if you see the need. The screws on the other three tires offered no resistance to my screw driver. Hope this helps, I hate see people give up and drill out the screws.
It is amazing what "love tap" will do to free up a stuck screws or bolts.
I have done the same using a large punch on a bolt to free it up.

Nailhead

I replaced those slotted screws with some hex-recess ones I got at McMaster, and used a bit of anti-seize on the threads in hopes I can avoid fighting them in the future.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just replaced my brakes on the M715. I used a hand held impact screwdriver you hit with a hammer. the screws came right out with no damage!
Same tool I used 50 years ago on motorcycle side covers, back before they used phillips or allen head scews!
Very underrated tool. First used one for the same purpose you described.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks