• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No more powerless 6.2

bigdogdale

powerless

Nice job!! I was toying with the idea of converting to a gas engine in my M1008, and just happened to mention this to a friend of mine who owns an auto repair business. His inspection tech overheard me and I was informed that if I converted to gas he would not be able to do the Mo. state inspection, because the VIN says that it's a diesel and it has to stay a diesel. He told me I would have to install a different cab from a gas truck get around it. Then he asked me to open the hood, and he looked at my stock air cleaner on the 6.2 and said, good thing that emissions sticker is on the air cleaner base, or I would not be able to legally inspect this truck. WTF? Kinda took the wind out of my sails!!:(

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm SURE there are other inspection stations around - I believe if you leave it as the military bought it, it's EXEMPT from emissions - at least that's what my guy told me in CO - in Texas, register it as an FMV and NO inspection required - but you supposedly can't ever drive them except .... long worn out story

sounds like an @ss hat to me - the inspection guy, not the auto repair owner

Southern Off Road

Nice dash cluster! Where did you get them and how hard were they to install? Good looking truck!

Daniel
Thanks, i bought them from jegs and they are pretty easy to install. actually the hardest part was cutting the dash to get them to fit. The only one that gave me trouble was the speedometer and that was because the old push on cable dont work for the new guage, u have to buy the right back for the speedometer that screws on.

Southern Off Road

Nice job!! I was toying with the idea of converting to a gas engine in my M1008, and just happened to mention this to a friend of mine who owns an auto repair business. His inspection tech overheard me and I was informed that if I converted to gas he would not be able to do the Mo. state inspection, because the VIN says that it's a diesel and it has to stay a diesel. He told me I would have to install a different cab from a gas truck get around it. Then he asked me to open the hood, and he looked at my stock air cleaner on the 6.2 and said, good thing that emissions sticker is on the air cleaner base, or I would not be able to legally inspect this truck. WTF? Kinda took the wind out of my sails!!:(
thanks, we dont have inspections in sc, that sucks yall do. most of all the emissions today are bs. Whats the deal about the emission sticker being on the clearner, why does it have to be there(just wondering) wish u could do your motor swap cause man its worth it, a bunch of people dont like the idea of pulling the 6.2 out but i am sorry it sucks.:beer:

Southern Off Road

So how does it run? It looks like a million bucks.
It runs like a bat out of ****, the motor is cut 30 over, complete blueprinted and balanced, it has a pretty big cam 486/486 lift, 2.02.1.60 ported and polished heads,scat crank,keith black hyperthetic pistons. Its has the quickest throttle response i have ever had out of a carb motor. it laughs at 6000 rpm and i am running a tc1 2600 stall so it leaves the hole like a bullet. very happy with it.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't mind, what ball park was the cost of that beauty in?

$2k? $4k? more???

No complaints, because you do get what you pay for, it's just my 91 Sub has 225k miles on it and though the engine is still running strong, you never know when a rebuild will be in it's future - as I intend to keep it... well basically forever...