• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No more white smoke

M1008driver

I have always had white smoke when I start my M1008 and understood it was unburnt fuel. The white smoke was only on startup for a short period and not ever while driving.

I have been cleaning connections and recently installed some copper battery cables with military connectors. The only thing I can figure is my electrical system is working better and the glow plugs have a better burn.

I no longer have white smoke on startup with my truck and wanted to pass it along. Please note copper may not be good in humid environments. Where I live the humidity is mostly dry, especially in the winter.

I also use Seafoam sometimes when the engine idles rougher and decided to try Lucas oil that was recommended here. The Lucus oil works very well and is several dollars cheaper than Seafoam. I may even try more of their products in the future. Saving money makes Lucas oil a winner for me.

Attachments

idM1028

Usually, black smoke=unburnt fuel. I noticed when it was colder, mine would smoke a lot especially during start-up in the morning. Once it got warmed up, it would stop. Don't know what the weather's been like up there, here's it's been getting warmer (in the 50's the last two days) and the truck has been smoking less.

Usually, black smoke=unburnt fuel. I noticed when it was colder, mine would smoke a lot especially during start-up in the morning. Once it got warmed up, it would stop. Don't know what the weather's been like up there, here's it's been getting warmer (in the 50's the last two days) and the truck has been smoking less.
Yes and no.

Black smoke is partially burnt fuel. It burns, but isn't fully consumed. Think of burning wood. Not all of it is consumed, some is left over as ash/soot. Black smoke is usually caused by overfueling.

Whiteish/grey smoke is unburnt fuel. On cold start white smoke is normal. The engine is basically misfiring due to the temperature of the engine not being hot enough. That minor misfiring causes some unburnt fuel to escape into the exhaust where it turns into vapor. Plus it mixes with water vapor (condensation in exhaust). It's basically fuel steam.

Blue smoke is burnt oil.
Thick, bright white smoke is burnt coolant/water.

Putting on new, more conductive, non-corroded battery cables/connections will decrease the resistance and increase the current going to the starter, GP's and everything else electric. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little. Having a slower turning starter can cause more white smoke. The faster the engine turns on start up, the more heat and pressure is built up... and the quicker the engine will start and warm up.

M1008driver

I got the copper cables off EBAY, but the quality is outstanding. They have 5/16 and 3/8 ends so you have to make sure you know what you want.

For the long negative to the 24 volt junction bar I ordered 4' with 5/16 and 3/8 ends. Pos to neg cable was 2' with 3/8 ends. (2' was almost too short, but they don't list half sizes) The rear battery pos to 24 volt junction bar was 1' with 5/16 and 3/8 ends.

The bar is 5/16" and the military connector bolts are 3/8".

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks