• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No power after shorting alternator wires

Militaryman71

Hey guys I have a m1028 I was changing the belt on alt. 2 and one of the positive wires touched ground. I heard a funny sound and the truck is dead when you try and start it. Is there a main fuse I blew?.

Also when I check the batts. I get 12 volts but when I try and check them you know to see 24volts the way the batteries are ran I check each end that connects to vehicle I get nothing. does anybody know what happened?

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved you question to its own thread. Your issue is unrelated to the other guys thread.

The fusable link at diamond shape terminal block has blown.

Explain more about the truck being dead. Anything work? Lights? Cranking? or just nothing at all?

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First check your battery connections. Also check to see if the batteries are good. They need to be fully charged and loadtested.

Second there is a long red wire that runs across the top of the firewall. It changes to a blue wire and connects to the diamond shaped terminal block. That is the fusible link. I would bet that it is burnt. That wire supplies 12v to the truck.

There is a sticky called Fusible Links 101. It will tell you how to repair/replace.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's try to use some capitalization and punctuation.

This thread may help many more, in the future.