• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

no power on M35A2C

Doug Roberts

So a few days ago I cranked up the Deuce and drove it about 8 miles, and shut down to go into a store. Came back and tried to start and it gave a little weak crank and went to nothing , so I got it jumped off and drove it straight back home and shut down. I now have no power coming on. So I pulled my battery case out and checked em with a meter. The battery on the left read normal (12ish), the battery on the right read 18 volts , so I pulled it and replaced it with a 6TL I've had on trickle charge for a good while. After doing this , no power. I haven't really had any time to get all into it , but I'm guessing I have something going wrong with the alternator.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect the left battery is failing to charge. It should test higher than 12v at full charge. What does the 6TL test at?

The 18v is clearly overcharged. I suspect this is the result of the left battery failure and the alternator continues to attempt to charge the left one, overcharging the right one.

As I'm sure you're aware, you want the batteries to be an exact match, and it's best practice to change them both at the same time.

I suspect if you put two new batteries in it all problems will disappear....

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That voltage differential would indicate one battery over charging. Do you have a 12v load coming off one of the batterys? Which battery was where? Was the 18v hooked to + and the 12v hooked to-?

Doug Roberts

the battery on the right tested at 18v , and that's the one I pulled ! lol .. so it looks now that I pulled the wrong one. Wonder if the battery that charged to 18v is ok . I'll do a swap around tonight hopefully ( while it's cooler)

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
98g could be on to something too. Maybe a bad cell. Id have them load tested.
John and Gimp are booth spot on, need to run the batteries down, trickle charge nice and slow, fill with distilled water and load test them, not just a VOM. The over charged battery may be taxed. May need to start with two fresh batteries in the end. Hooking a 12 v. circut to one battery will end up charging the batteries at different voltages, over time it will kill one of them.

Doug Roberts

thanks guys. I have two balanced 6TLs in there , cranked it , and took a little drive. If these batteries don't hold, I'm going to need new ones , as my trickle charge stockpile might be limping by now. I've bought regular truck batteries with high cranking amps before, and they did fine , but would you buy new 6TLs?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If money is no option, agm Hawkers.

I used Interstate reconditioned batterys up till I found a guy selling good batts near me for $20.

Doug Roberts

calling around to find someone selling the Hawker, no luck so far . Sam's Club has Optimas , their Redtop AGM is suppoed to be good. I got a M923A2 out of surplus 3 years ago that had Optimas in it. They went bad on the way home. I had to replace the PCB on that truck a little bit later.too.

Doug Roberts

I agree 98G . I bought 31s with 900 CCA and they worked great. So yesterday I find a source for Optima Red Tops for $167 each. 3 year replacement warranty... 4 Wheel Parts stores

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks