• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No power to tailights? Power at fuse block but not at brown wire

Mohawk Dave

Hey SS,

I was installing a license plate light and while tapping into the Brown wire for the tail lights my crimpers arced on the bumper and now no power to the wire. I checked the fuse at the block, and it is good. So I thought I blew an inline fuse.

I traced power-or lack of- all the way back to the main fuse block. I have no power in the brown wire from where it comes out of the block-under the hood- all the way back. I checked the fuse and even changed it. WHAT GIVES!!!???

I just checked the underside of the fuse block in the cab, and I have power at the brown wire that comes out at the bottom - if that is even the same wire. ???

I do have brake lights. Is it somewhere in the fuse block or something to do with the BO lights?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Mohawk Dave

Did you check to see if you have power up to the crimp?
I'm sorry, I do not follow. What crimp? Are you meaning the tap? No, no power there. I do not have any power on the brown wire from the back of the vehicle to the fuse block, but do have power at the fuse and the brown wire on the inside of the cab that is located under the fuse block that goes into the large loom that runs under the steering shaft.

Thank you for your time.

-Dave

RPMG

I just found a short at the wire that goes to my tag lamp. It kept blowing the fuse. I still had brake lights just no service or running lights. The fuse that kept blowing is the center 20 amp fuse. Is that the one you checked?

Hope that helps.

Robert

frodobaggins

I'm sorry, I do not follow. What crimp? Are you meaning the tap? No, no power there. I do not have any power on the brown wire from the back of the vehicle to the fuse block, but do have power at the fuse and the brown wire on the inside of the cab that is located under the fuse block that goes into the large loom that runs under the steering shaft.

Thank you for your time.

-Dave
He means check a few inches up from where you tapped into the line.

Mohawk Dave

Maybe I wrote my post in a confusing manner. But as I stated, I checked the line all the way from my tap at the back to the fuse block-there is no power in the entirety of that run. And since my fuse is good, that tells me that my problem is between the fuse and where the brown wire comes out of the bottom of the fuse block underneath the hood on the firewall.

So the question is, what is located between the fuse and that part of the wire? Does the stuff run through the blackout lights? Or is there a diode in there somewhere.

I noticed underneath the dash on the fuse block the 10 amp fuse is located in the top right corner when you're looking at it. And underneath the hood the brown wire exits the lower right corner of the fuse block. This means they are kitty corner from each other. So there is not a direct connect from the back of the fuse to the wire. Is there some kind of junction box in there?

Thanks again,

Dave

Brett09

A lot of multimeter have a setting to check continuity. Wire up a long lead and start testing your wire runs. I've had wires just break for no reason. IF you need help with your gremlin hunting you have my number. Happy hunting.