• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Previous Paperwork + Michigan Motor Vehicle = Title

pcblakeley

So,

I went to the Secretary of State (DMV) here in Michigan with not a single piece of paper from the previous owner of the truck.....and to my suprise I walked out with a temporary tag and a title reciept. The title and the historic plate will be in my hands in less than 30 days.

I got a police officer to verify the Vin/Serial Number

Brought the TM that listed the weight

Had a bill of sale they didn't need

Certified ownership through a form and provided the details of the purchase.

Paid the fees for the title, plate and paid the tax on the purchase price....

Walked out of the office with an amazed look on my face.

I saw it all going down hill as I heard the manager in the back say something about a military form...then the nice lady said, "he bought it from a private party." and she replied, "print him a title and get him a temp tag"

I did not anticipate it going that well. I guess I ran into some wonderful luck today.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
michigan is fairly easy to tittle vehicels without paperwork as long as numbers come up clean if your from mi . its all about money to the state anything other than historic title they want to keep your wallet

KsM715

This brings up a question? Since I bought my truck thru GL and when I paid for the SF97 and they sent me a florida title with GL as the prievious owner wouldnt that mean that I bought a truck from a "private party"? It has been mentioned before that according to GL's contract that they "own" the surplus before they auction it off.

ida34

you paid for a SF97 and got a Florida title? WOW!! thats new to me.
GL is a licensed auto dealer in Florida so sometimes you get a SF-97 and sometimes you get a Florida title.

BTW. This is the bonded title route. As long as the vehicle is worth less than $2500 then no bond is needed. If the vehicle is valued more then $2500 you would have had to put up a bond based on the value of the vehicle. Glad you got it done with a minimum of fuss.

KsM715

you paid for a SF97 and got a Florida title? WOW!! thats new to me.

Yeah, talk about title washing? Try something like that as a private seller and youd be looking at jail time.

The GL hq is in Arizona but they get their titles from FL.

area52

Yea, I was one of the (un)lucky few that won a deuce from GL when they had just gotten the contract for surplus back in 2001. I actually got an AZ title for that truck but they stopped that real quick when business took off.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
when i got my truck from GL they sent the bill of sale with florida tittle crossed out title and hand wrote S.F. 97 above it was in and out of secratary of state office with temporary title and tem. plate in 15 minutes no problems here it seems better to go to the rural S.O.S. office you go to the one in town ther's a 2 hour wait take 20 minutes to to the out county office never been there more than 20 minutes

cundupa

I've done 2 in Michigan with no problem. I think Terry Land should take Granholms spot, going to the SOS office is a breeze now.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm glad things worked so well for you.

Personally...I think GL should have to issue a title from the state the vehicle is sold in. Or better yet from the state the buyer is from.