• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No shim starter/flywheel

bkwudzhom

My M1008 had a starting problem and I did the search thing to figure out the problem. I was told by several friends that the problem was that I needed to shim the starter. I removed the inspection plate only to find that there is NO way to measure the starter to flywheel contact distance due to the nose cone shrouding the starter drive gear. I then pulled the starter and found that it is a NO SHIM starter. After removing the starter I can see that the teeth on the flywheel at the starter are completely gone all the way across. I am in the process of replacing the flywheel. I have read several posts on how and I think I can do it my self with out much problem. I do have a question. Do I need to worry about the starter being I the right place with out shims? It seems to be going deep enough due to the entire section of each tooth being gone and not just part of the tooth. I know the previous owner had starter trouble due to lack of using the end bracket but I corrected that problem with a new bracket set as well as removing a broken starter bolt and replacing both of them with new GM ones. Also what would cause the teeth to grind off if the starter is placed in the proper position? I am assuming that the damage o the flywheel was done before I got it when the starter was just barely hanging on.
Thanks ahead for any info.

rnd-motorsports

The starter not having the rear brace would let it loosen and cause the damage puts the started in a bind and the flywheel teeth are the week link in the end. starter bendix or drive is hardend flywheel not. the starter I would think will be fine as long as it has brace and is tight do not break bolts but make snug .