• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No start after inj pump replacement

deuce dude

We replaced inj pump on 70 2.5 ton Multi fuel turbo m35a2 and after bleeding air the truck will only start after a shot of starting fluid,then after warming up the tk only has about 1/2 power. I've checked the fuel shut off rod/spring it appears to be positioned properly 7/4 and spring is intact and working. What simple thing are we missing or overlooking? We also replaced oil and fuel filters. Could rust in fuel tank be problem and what can remedy that? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks to all vets out there.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to SS. Hang on for a wild ride.

Did you use the instructions in the Tech Manual for the reinstall? Did you get all the timing/POSITIONING marks in the proper place?

An easy check. Pull the cover of the IP that has the fuel shutoff. Make sure the lever inside moves freely.

Also, where did you get the replacement pump from? Used? Rebuilt?

Attachments

Last edited:

deuce dude

Yes I had cover off this morning and it moves freely and snaps back w/spring. The pump was from a buddy who was in 1st gulf war, not sure how he got it but it appears to have been rebuilt, a he had manual sent via e-mail.he is puzzled w/it. Also after we shoot it w/starting fluid and its running it smokes more than before(black smoke) tnanks

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
not all marks are timing marks!!! the red tooth mark is not a timing mark, just a positioning mark. sounds just like the head is in 180 out of time. that is exactly what they do, low power and lots of smoke. do not run it that way it is hard on the pistons etc. remove the front valve cover, turn engine so #1 valves are at over lap, then turn one full turn more until timing mark on balancer lines up with correct engine model. now remove the small coverplate on pump, the one with 4 bolts. the mark should line up exactly. the red tooth will not line up at this moment, but will be approx 1 tooth off. it is not a timing mark. i am going to assume the mark under cover does not show, since it is 180 out.if you replaced the whole IP, the engine was just in the wrong position when you did.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sounds exactly like mine when I had the timing 180* out. Pull the front valve cover and set the engine to TDC with #1 valves "loose". You'll be on the compression stroke then.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks