• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No start after sitting.

slantflat

Hi everyone, been awhile.

My Deuce has been sitting a couple of years, not the brightest thing I know, and today got two new batteries for it. Turned on the accessory switch, nothing. Turned on the lights, got one dash light, no outside lights. Made sure the battery terminals were clean and tight, nada. Nothing when pushing the start button.

In messing with it I left the accessory switch on and suddenly the wiring inside the left fender(for the parking light) was on fire. Turned off the switch, fire went out but still heard crackling. -Something- under the dash then started clicking, until I disconnected the batteries.

That's where I'm at now. Searching through a bazillion posts proved fruitless. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? Short in the accessory switch? Short in the light switch?

Thanks everyone.

dmetalmiki

You could have big problems there I am afraid. Have you rodents around that could have munched wiring under the dash?
Now that wires have burned up seemingly in separate places, you are just going to have to look at a re-wire it seems. Don't be put off, Just start and look for the obvious signs of damage and work from there.Once you get stuck into it things will soon be sorted out. But If major rot corrosion and damage is found then obviously new sections and harnesses will be needed. Post up your diagnosis, and remedial actions.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I know you said you checked the terminals... But how about the rest of the connections and grounds all through the truck? Only need one bad ground... It's on a a bunch of threads.. The crackling and fire just is a result of he weakest part of the link... Mine melted my batteries. After new batteries and cleaning the wiring connections check the starter. I went through couple sets of batteries until gimpy told me my starter was the problem lol 😁

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

slantflat

Currently I don't have any way of putting pictures up on the internet. Tell me what you want a picture of and I'll see if I can get someone to help me. Right now it all looks normal, the fire was beneath the bracket and you can't see anything. I'm going to take that all apart and clean it up real good.

Jericho

Sounds like a classic wire chaff and subsequent SHORT, I was surprised how quickly I have real wear on the wires that go thru the holes between sheet metal just from the drive train vibration, fix em add rubber grommets and chaff guard , it really works.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hi everyone, been awhile.

My Deuce has been sitting a couple of years, not the brightest thing I know, and today got two new batteries for it. Turned on the accessory switch, nothing. Turned on the lights, got one dash light, no outside lights. Made sure the battery terminals were clean and tight, nada. Nothing when pushing the start button.

In messing with it I left the accessory switch on and suddenly the wiring inside the left fender(for the parking light) was on fire. Turned off the switch, fire went out but still heard crackling. -Something- under the dash then started clicking, until I disconnected the batteries.

That's where I'm at now. Searching through a bazillion posts proved fruitless. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? Short in the accessory switch? Short in the light switch?

Thanks everyone.
This is a case where you just have to dig in and see what happened for yourself. There is no one else that will have had this exact thing happen.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
is there any way to give a quick shot of either to get a multi fuel non turbo deuce started?
If you have to, the best way is with a buddy. One person in the cab, cranking her over, the other giving a puff of ether into the air intake. I would take the intake mushroom and air filter off and spray directly into the engine intake. Ether must be used with the engine cranking so that all cylinders get a bit of ether fumes. Otherwise, the first cylinder that sucks the fumes gets fully loaded with ether and you can shatter the rings off.

slantflat

Rob I'm afraid you're right. I was hoping someone would say, oh these trucks do that when they sit, such and such is the problem... No such luck. My days have been full since all this, I hope I get a chance to get back to it soon. Why is it anything I want/need to do gets pushed aside and everyone else's problems are paramount? ug.

gimpyrobb

Rob I'm afraid you're right. I was hoping someone would say, oh these trucks do that when they sit, such and such is the problem... No such luck. My days have been full since all this, I hope I get a chance to get back to it soon. Why is it anything I want/need to do gets pushed aside and everyone else's problems are paramount? ug.
Ha! Welcome to the club, at least you are not the only one in that boat.

Truth

At my house, the War Department diverted all manpower to the construction of a new chicken coop last weekend.
And there are parts sitting, waiting to be installed on the truck. If I get too many beers in me there may be a mutiny.

rustystud

Truth

At my house, the War Department diverted all manpower to the construction of a new chicken coop last weekend.
And there are parts sitting, waiting to be installed on the truck. If I get too many beers in me there may be a mutiny.

Just remember the "Supreme Rule" . "If momma ain't happy, then no one is happy ! "

slantflat

Hi everyone.

It's only been, what, five months since I was able to look at this. I've been poking around in the TMs and looking over the truck and it occurs to me the starter relay may be bad. Alas, when I went to test it, it wasn't where it was supposed to be. Bolted to the side of the engine, next to the starter. Nope.

If, for whatever reason, the relay has been moved, is there an alternate place that is popular to put it? Can't see it under the dash, can't see it in the engine compartment.

Hooked up the batteries again and all the lights work. Get nothing when I hit the start button. Also, nothing when I turn on the accessory switch. Usually it makes some noise like a fan.

Thanks again everyone.

slantflat

That's the trouble, there's nothing to take a picture of. The oil sending unit is on the block above the starter like it's supposed to be, but that is it. Nothing else is on that side of the engine. The wire for the sending unit comes off the top, wraps around another bundle on the firewall, and then disappears under the cab. Is it possible the relay is integral with the solenoid? This is a '73 built truck, last overhauled in 85 if that matters. It's a White multifuel.

Thinking further, my trouble might be with the accessory switch. When I turn it on, I get nothing out of the gauges, and no low air buzzer. I can't get twisted around enough to stick my head under the dash to see how it comes out, and the pictures I was looking at for the forward harness doesn't show it at all.

gimpyrobb

Some of them(starter relays) get removed when they go bad. The starter button works fine for a while, then it goes bad and you end up with what your finding now. Grab a relay and install it, you'll probably need to replace the button.

You can pull the button and test it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks