• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No start in a blizzard

CROM

I hate to be lazy and not research threads for this answer, but I am very pressed for time...we're getting about an inch of snow an hour.

My M1009 cranks fine, but won't start. I am not getting voltage to the glowplugs when the wait light is on. I am getting 13+vdc to to relay. Anyone know off the top of their head what needs swapped in the system?

Thanks in advance!

txmytx_catahoula

I have had the relay/solenoid on the firewall go bad. Mine was still clicking, just wouldn't pass power on through. You say you have 13v at the relay, is this the one under the dash or on the firewall in the engine bay? Any noise at all from it when you turn the key??

CROM

Voltage from the one in the engine bay. I get one click after the wait light has been on for a while, but no change in voltage anywhere. Are you talking about the starter relay under the dash? Was unaware that there was another relay under there other than the starter relay.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try jumpering the blue wire at the GP relay. Attach it to ground. It should energize the relay.

With the key on the small pink wire should have 12v at all times. The controller closes the ground when needed.

With the manual ground wire you can bypass the controller. Only ground it for just a few seconds.

txmytx_catahoula

Yep you are correct, I did incorrectly mention the starter relay under the dash, sorry. The solenoid on the fire wall is what I had go bad. It would click but not pass power on to the glow plugs. Have you checked for voltage passing through the solenoid after the click you hear? If none, it's any easy replace but a pricey part, think mine was about $50 from NAPA.

CROM

OK, just jumpered the blue wire (right side of relay) to ground. Got a spark, but no noise. I have 13ish VDC on both sides of the relay at all times....bad relay?

CROM

wait...the relay is the silver, beer can looking thing; right? I'm measuring the wrong stuff....crud. Standby for measurements...

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jump the heavy leads on the glow plug relay with jumper cables. If the relay or wiring to it are bad, this will by-pass the relay and energize the glow plugs so you can start the engine.

CROM

With the jump to ground (from blue wire) I got no action out of the relay. I'm assuming this is the problem. It's late and no parts stores have what I need, so I'm going to pull the relay apart and try to clean it up a bit. If this doesn't work, I'll try what you suggest Tow.

Thanks for the input, gents and keep it coming!

CROM

OK. Cleaned up the relay and am now getting voltage to the glowplugs when the key is turned...just fighting weak batteries and the cold now...

CROM

k...bad relay it is. Took the relay apart (pried the top off) cleaned all the gunk off with a steel brush (there was alot of gunk). Re-assemble = voltage to glowplugs. Got a good charge on the batteries...took a few goes...truck started and runs like a champ! I'll buy a new GP relay tomorrow after work, but for now it fires up like should!

CROM vs Blizzard tomorrow!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great news. At least you found the issue tonight instead of tomorrow with 12" of snow on the ground.

Keith_J

Take the air filter off and warm the intake with a propane torch. You will be surprised how much this helps. Yes, have someone start it while you shoot the flame down the intake. Two torches, if required.

Never use starting fluid. Heating the intake air is safe. Even a heat gun can help. Anything to get heat into the combustion chamber.

Skinny

Worse case if that happens again is jumper the lead off the solenoid that supplies power to the GP's directly to the battery. Use jumper cables or something with some beef. Will atleast get you started again so you are trapped somewhere.

Good luck!

MarcusOReallyus

Just remember that if your solenoid has failed, the bypass will not help you in an emergency. Time to get creative and make sparks...or as Mainers say SPHAKS!

What he said.

A relay is nothing more than a switch, controlled by another switch. This allows you to control a BIG current with a SMALL current, like using an ignition switch to start an engine, or a circuit board (GP card) to power up some glow plugs.

If the switch isn't working, you can temporarily jumper across it to get your glow plugs glowing. This won't hurt anything as long as you don't leave it there!

In fact, you can just jumper power from your battery + terminal straight to the output, if that's easier in your situation.

In an emergency situation, there's nothing at all wrong with this approach, IF you do it correctly.

:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks