• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Start, Wiring?

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have a M1008 that wont start, or should i say turn over...

Went offshore about 3 months ago and upon my return I tried to start the cucv and she just rolled over once and started clicking.

I charged both batts overnight and upon reconnection, the terminal arced when I got it close to the post (ignition was turned off). I went ahead and connected it anyway to see what would happen. All I got was hot smelling wires and still no turnover...

The wire that leads from the firewall (10ga) to the rear battery looks to be the one that is getting hot. First time this has happened and I am now stumped, an ideas guys? Anyone think a DH relay would solve this?

Thanks!

BIG_RED

I'd check that the relay under the dash is working. (the one that would be replaced by the DH relay if you did that) and then check for power on the thin wire going to the starter while key turned to start. If both check out, I'd think the starter solenoid is the problem.. Not sure if you can replace that without a new starter.

Good Luck!

Barrman

Yes, something in the starting circuit is stuck on. More than likely it is the starter relay. Unplug it and see if the battery will connect up without arcing. If that isn't it, try the starter solenoid next. I know the solenoid is easier to see than it is to get to. So, connect the battery like you did, count to 10 and un hook it. Then go feeling the solenoid and relay. One of them will probably be real hot. That is your bad part.

A safer for your batteries way to check the solenoid is to use a volt meter at the starter relay. If the relay checks out, the solenoid is probably stuck on. that means the power wire (purple) at the relay will go to ground. Put the positive lead of a DVOM on the purple wire and the negative lead on a good ground. You will have a tone or a reading for Ohms if it is stuck on. Not on will be an open circuit and no reading at all.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks