• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No start

hoplite666

Went ahead and disconnected both red and purple from the doghead relay and as soon as I tap the terminals to the battery starter wants to turn

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I can tell frrom the picture:

1: you have the Glowplug resistor pack disconnected
2: the red wire you replace is the 24v to the DH starter relay. It should be a 16 ga fusible link, not a 20ga

The wires you are hold from left to right

large Blue - GEN2 positive terminal output wire
small Orange - GEN2 exciter wire
small red - diagnostic port on the STE/ICE plug
large red - 24v to the starter relay

Here is a list of the CUCV Fusible Links taken from the Tech Manual TM 9-2320-289-34

Diagram - Wire Label - Location - Use - Size

Diagram E-1 - 1 RED-2Z 24v - POS Terminal Board - 24v to the Starter relay - 16ga

Diagram E-9 - .5 ORN-2K 24v - POS Term BD - 24v to GEN2 exciter circuit - 20ga
Diagram E-9 - 3 BLU-2L 24v - POS Term BD - 24v to GEN2 positive terminal - 12ga

Diagram E-11 - 1 RED-101A - 24v POS Terninal BD - 24v to the Diagnostic port - 16ga

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a short somewhere or the starter bendix is engaged allowing the contacts inside the solenoid to stay closed. Did you check the spacing for the bendix? Use any shims?

hoplite666

Glow plug resistor bank wire is there. Far right. Hard to see b/c the fuel filter. No shims. Didn't check spacing. Rebuilder told me it was bench tested and good to go.
I've got a volt meter however am not at all well rehearsed with electronic diagnostics. I'm dreading having to get up under and take that **** starter off again. Spent hours rolling around on a rough parking lot asphalt maneuveribg the support bracket in.

hoplite666

Thanks so much for the help with this gentleman. I have a short day tomorrow and will be free after 12. That gives my the afternoon to tear into it. I'll be studying the wiring diagrams and printing off as much useful and relevant info from the tm's to have with me tomorrow.
At this point there is obviously something sending constant power to the starter/solenoid with no key in as soon as the batteries are hooked up.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would disconnect the small wire on the starter solenoid and see if the problem continues(with the batteries reconnected).

cpf240

At this point there is obviously something sending constant power to the starter/solenoid with no key in as soon as the batteries are hooked up.
Silly question, but is there any chance that the wires connecting to the starter solenoid are either connected incorrectly, or shorting?

Since you say you have a voltmeter, how about disconnecting the wires from the starter solenoid, keep them from touching anything, reconnect the batteries, and then see what readings you get on each one? The one to the 24v buss should read 24v, and the one from the DH relay should read zero, unless it is shorted to a 24v source somewhere.

hoplite666

Fixed.
The loop connection on the heavy gauge wire going to the starter had a bit of a nib on it that was just barely touching the post for the small wire on the solenoid. I was under there showing everything I had done to a friend and I just happened to catch it at the right angle where I could see what was going on.
Thanks again to all who chimed in! Looks like Ill be making the trip to Nascar in the cucv after all. lol

Last edited: