• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Stereo = insanity!!!!!

SuperchargedRS

So I just got my CUCV, and now I am going to be installing a sound system as I cant carry a tune, and singing to myself leads to strange looks from bystanders :lol:

I am using a Kenwood 500 deck (I think that is the name) w/ iPod support (I will make a pouch on the metal brake at the shop and spot weld it in the dash box for the iPod).

========>> Now HERE is the question:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: The front two 3 1/2 speakers will bolt up or do I need brackets??
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: The rear 6x9s that the civ units had, a hole must be made in the rear for a mount right?

The center speaker is a funky speaker that it seems that I can only get from LMC truck
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: Also I will be converting to power windows and locks, so I will be replacing the door panels, what LATE model door panels will go right on?

|
-->I would rather get some nice 99' and up Chevy truck door panels off eBay that have the 6 1/2 speaker mounts

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q: *Also on another note I have a dent in my roof (looks like someone sat up there or something), how can I remove that metal head liner to work it out???

Thanks guys,
-SuperchargedRS

Attachments

Prerunner1982

First off as far as I know, the speaker options were 2 front/2 rear or the middle speaker. I dont think they used it in conjunction with the front 2 speakers. If this is a m1008 (truck) then the rear speakers on the Civvy models were 4x10"s 95% of the time. There were very few with 6x9"s. The 4x10" bracket can be modified by swapping side to side and flipping them over I believe.. there may also be a bit of trimming required. I not sure if you need "brackets" for the front speakers, its been many years since I have torn into mine.. though that is needed as 3 of the 4 speakers in my truck are blown. Any 81-87 door panel will fit, you can cut the door and put 3 way 6x9"s in the door below the door panel where there is usually carpet (on the Civvy models)..

ida34

I got some universal speaker boxes from a local store and am going to mount them on the rear wheel wells. I figured mounting any other way would not produce good sound due to the lack of any interior panels. Of course this is for my M1009. If you have the truck I would just get the behind the seat boxes. I really do not want to cut holes in my doors. The same door panels were used up to 1991 in the blazers and suburbans.

BigJay

I may not have much MV experience yet, but I do have quite a bit of car audio experience...

Spend a LOT of money and time damping sound and insulating the truck. That's going to give you a lot of bang for your buck in these trucks for sure. If I were to do a 1009 as a daily driver, regardless of the stereo, I'd be looking to cover the entire floor with some sort of heavy carpet padding or something similar. I'd buy a bulk pack of dynamat extreme and use that on the inner door pannels, around the rear wheel wells, and on the firewall. Then you can put a rubber mat over all that to regain a "military look" although that might not even matter to you since you're doing the power options route. I'd do expanding foam in the A pillar and B pillar and anywhere else I could fit it. And a cloth headliner. Other things like intake muffler, hood blanket, spray on sound deadener in the wheel wells, etc will all help too.

Without doing this, your stereo WILL sound like a boom box sitting on the passenger seat, no matter how good the components may be. If that's the level of sound you're looking for, that's fine too, just don't waste money on high end components.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=19269583&blogID=144825776

If that link works, you can use it for some inspiration.

-Jay

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SuperchargedRS , I have a set of stock grills and speakers for the rear. Interested? PM me.I can send a pic.

NCINIRATOR

Re: RE: No Stereo = insanity!!!!!

BFR said:
you know... I think the lack of a stereo is one of the positives of owning a MV
Sometimes I turn the stereo off in my other vehicles while I'm driving. It's good for a man to hear what noises his car/truck is making. For some its theraputic, I don't get strange looks from people while cruisin in my CUCV.

5% tint all the way around makes it impossible to see in :twisted:

Also, try wearing shooting ears or ear plugs, you can still hear the traffic outside the truck. Amazing.

SuperchargedRS

I am using sound deading mat, thermal mat, coating the floor in rubberized undercoating, and a nifty products carpet (black) in the front half of the M1009 (rear Line-X), and also using rubber floor mats to keep my carpet looking good.

As far as the speakers go, I am going to be using all Infinities,

=====================================
WHAT IS THIS BOX FOR THE REAR SPEAKERS???
When I looked behind the front seats I thought that the civvy units must have has a hole that I didn’t for mounting the speakers?
...am I missing something?
=====================================

As far as the doors go I am debating putting a 6 1/2 in the lower part of the door, but as I have the layout planed right now I will be having two 6x9s in the back, two 3.5s in the dash and a center speaker as well.

Thanks for the input guys!

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BigJay,
I AM getting ready to do an M1009 'project'. But hopefully all I'll have to deal with will be the interior. Everything else looks good to go. I have already done the interior on my (sold) 1991 GMC Suburban 4x4. Four captains chairs, floors were all rubber. Extra jute. Stereo was a Jensen (1.5 din) that accepted XM radio. About the only thing I did not use was the 'sound insulation' aka dynamat.

While I do concur about your idea of using sound deadening, I personally disagree with using dynamat. Kind of like using a toilet plunger that has jewels embedded in the handle. Yeah, it will still work, yeah it's looks ... uh, different ... and like I said, it still works.

Consider instead, try using 'Fatmat'. Fatmat dot com. I bought four rolls, each of which is 33 square feet each. They shipped it to me for only a little more than $120 total price. I think. It's been a while since I bought the four rolls.

I WILL be posting a 'story' of exactly what occurs, including starting with SPL meter readings before and after all these things are done on an M1009. Feel free to steal my info after I post it.

jim

BKinzey

The expanding foam. I thought of that but you don't get much out of a $6 can!

Any "bulk" available?

How worried should I be on overfilling a space? I've heard some problems with houses.

Distance. The whole roof is basically hollow. Any ideas on how to get it to spread that far?

SuperchargedRS

***What about the rear speakers? how do they mount on the civvy units???

Thanks

As far as the mat I am using the mat kit from LMC truck, about 80 bucks for the sound mat and the thermal mat together.

BKinzey

SuperchargedRS said:
***What about the rear speakers? how do they mount on the civvy units???

Crappy! Just like they sound :lol: :lol: :lol:

The civvy units have vinyl & carpet padding mounted to a cheesy press board. That is attached to the bed walls so it's flat. There isn't a lip showing where the bed wall meets the cap. It's lost space, or hollow space, from the carpet board to the metal bed wall. About 2.5" to 3" is my guestimate. The 4x10 speaker :roll: :roll: is mounted in a hole cut in the carpet board all the way in the back close to the tailgate.

But WAIT, There's MORE!

My suggestion is to put them in speaker boxes and mount where you want 'em.

I've also thought of mounting them in the top back corners of the cap or if I was brave cut a hole in the metal wall and fit some type of metal box, scoop, bread pan, whatever, so the speaker will be flush with the bed wall.

I'm probably going with speaker boxes though :wink:

wyliek

can someone ellaborate on the foam, doesn't most brand of it expand quite a bit?? couldnt it potentially 'burst' the pillars??
wylie

CCATLETT1984

I am prolly going to do the spray foam, I will be drilling several relief holes and then injecting the foam. you come back in an hour or two and remove the excess. then you just get the little black plastic caps (like the factory ones) and people will never know from looking at it.

IMHO- I think the firewall area is the one that needs to be addressed the most. I will be using the fatmat metioned above, my buddy used it in his car and it works great.

NCINIRATOR

BKinzey said:
The expanding foam. I thought of that but you don't get much out of a $6 can!

Any "bulk" available?

How worried should I be on overfilling a space? I've heard some problems with houses.

Distance. The whole roof is basically hollow. Any ideas on how to get it to spread that far?
What kind of problems. This is the first house I have owned and I need to fill in a crack between the concrete stairs leading up to my door....I thought about using the foam...Whats the deal? :?:

CCATLETT1984

sometimes you could accidently put too much foam in, if it doesn't have a place to go then it will try to find a place to go( read: It can push stuff that you don't want it to push.) for a crack in conrete I would get a tube of the crack filler, its designed for it and will "give" with the expanding and contracting of the cement.

dilvoy

I just did some sound proofing on my M1009 today. I did not have a floor mat so after cleaning the interior out with a garden hose the day before, I lined the floor with E Dead. I used two layers for the entire floor and a third in the front foot/firewall area. I then placed felt padding on top of that before installed a new floor mat and I also installed a rubber mat for the entire cargo area too. It made a big difference.

BKinzey

As for "Great Stuff" foam I don't know if it was the product used but I was told by an insurance claims guy he had done a couple of claims where the homeowner had used too much and it pushed the exterior wood off the frame and bowed as well as cracked the sheetrock on the inside.

The A pillar might be fine but I'm concerned about the roof panels. I don't think it would take much to make them lumpy or wavy.

Also found a pic of a brace for the rear panel in the civvy models. It's on the left just above the white jug and inside the roll bar. That'll give you an idea of the space lost in the civvy models.

Attachments