• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No stopping!!

55Cameo

Took the Deuce out this morning and had no brakes. Luckily I was still in my neighborhood when I figured it out. My question is, if the master is full of fluid should I be looking at the hydroboost as the problem?

powerhouseduece

well i guess its a good thing that it happned in your neighborhood where you could easyly get home.(or before any idiot could get a chance to pull out on you)

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear you got problems and sorry I have not called. I might start by pulling down on the rubber boot on the master and see if any fluid comes dripping out on you face.( make sure u r not right under it :D ) Does the air pack sound like it is releasing a good amount of air? I think I have some airpack rebuild and master cyl. parts here.

55Cameo

It did not go to the floor in the yard. The last time that I drove it I had to pump the pedal one time before I got a good pedal. It would stop fine without pumping it, but it just felt a little better after doing it once. This time it stopped at the first stop, but at the second stop it just went to the floor and I could hear more air than usual comming from under the truck. I think that it is the air pack, but I have not had a chance to get a look at it. It did get a new master cylinder in December of last year.

Jim, I see that you called. I have been working 16 hour days now since the 30th of July but today is the last of it. This week is playing catchup on everything that I had to put off for the last couple of weeks. Maybe we can get together so I can get those winch parts and take a look at the Deuce.

55Cameo

Figured out the problem and fixed it today. A steel fluid line burst over the air tanks going to the rear brakes. Took out the old line and replaced it, bled the brakes and everything works fine. Did notice that the air that I heard comming from the underside is a small pinhole in one of the air tanks near a bracket. Don't know if I should take it out and repair the tank or just replace it.

Jake0147

Replace it. It's a bomb waiting to go off. Maybe a long fuse, maybe a short one. Maybe a big bomb, maybe a little bomb depending on just how it's corroded inside. But it's a bomb none the less.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
An air tank that blows will decide when and where to blow. Might be on the highway at 55MPH, might be in your driveway at 2MPH...

Did you like the sensation of having no brakes when you push the brake pedal?? If not, replace the air tank....

Just my .02.....

55Cameo

I believe that the system has a valve in it so if one tank leaks down the other still has pressure. Try draining one tank first completely, then drain the other. I may be wrong, and I'm sure that I will be corrected if I am.
Anyway, I was just thinking that if I repair the tank it would probably be better than a used tank out of another truck that I know nothing about. Unless you guys know where I can get a NOS tank at a reasonable price.
Ya'll make it sound like I am going to keep driving around with a hole in my tank for the heck of it and see what happens. :shock:

55Cameo

"Thanks for the link. That's what I thought. The leak is in the inboard tank, so after I repair it, if it blows out, I will still have air to the brakes. Not that I think that my repair will be shabby, but you never know.

houdel

55Cameo said:
Did notice that the air that I heard coming from the underside is a small pinhole in one of the air tanks near a bracket. Don't know if I should take it out and repair the tank or just replace it.
Think about this for a minute. You have ONE pinhole leak in your air tank and you want to fix it. Doesn't the fact that your air tank has already completely rusted through in one spot make you think that PERHAPS the inside of your tank is pretty well rusted?

I'd err on the side of caution and presume that tank is trash. 90 psi or so of air pressure inside that tank is a very potent force. Replace it.

55Cameo

It is actually a pin hole where a bracket has rubbed a hole in it from the outside. I don't think that it is corroded from the inside at all. (or at least no more than any normal air tank) Does everyone agree that it would be O.K. to fix this and not have a ticking time bomb on my hands or am I just asking to get flamed again?

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have a problem with it. Biggest thing is when there is a pinhole, and your do a little work and find out there is a LOT of pinholes. Is the hole on the top or bottom? Bottom would be where a rust hole would happen.

55Cameo

The hole is on the side where the edge of the bracket meets the tank. A friend with a couple of parts trucks pulled two sets of tanks out last night and all of them had the same wear points and one even had a hole in it also. Maybe this is an issue that more people have and are not aware of.

bmoore2031

Whenever a pressure vessel is welded on it should be done by a certified welder, and then inspected by a certified inspector. They all have a plate that says they were inspected. Google Beta steel explosion, a pressure vessel ruptured and took down half a steel mill.A 2.5 gal 90 psi tank could go off like a bomb, maybe take out the other tank and maybe a good chuck of your truck. You could always fab in a new air tank that they use for putting air ride in cars or a cheater air tank or something.

saddamsnightmare

August 30th, 2008.

Dear 55cameo:

No flaming here..... See bmoore2031 above.... IF you can find a pressure vessel rated welder to fix it... I'd still hydrostat both tanks above operating pressure as with a boiler. If they fail on hydrostat you're into two new tanks and the old ones are scrap. I'm pretty sure there have to be either NOS airtanks for the deuce or a source for them (maybe the South korean company that making deuce parts for their army?), in any case without the air you still have the hydraulics, but without the hydralics, you've got nothing.
I STILL THINK (got your attention???) that with the number of deuces around, if we all get togather, we can get a manufacture here or overseas, to do a package to convert the brakes to the A3 ESP split system.... The air tanks can kill you, but a hydraulic failure in the right spot will kill you.....

Just my 2cents worth, no beating :deadhorse: here,

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan :popcorn:

55Cameo

I agree 100% that a split system would be the best on these. Also, I think that I am going to order 2 new tanks from Saturnsurplus just to be on the safe side. Every tank that I have found used has the same wear marks where the straps hold them onto the truck and some have holes in them also. I will be putting something inbetween the new tanks and the mount to keep it from happening again.