• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PA No title to a plate in PA

FarmerFrank

This may be the wrong thread to post this so please direct me to the right one. I just bought a M105a3 trailer With a bill of sale. Can someone give step by step procedure to go from a trailer with no title, to a trailer with a legal Pennsylvania license plate? Talked to two notaries and neither could give me a good answer. Thanks ahead of time !

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is older...say before 1995...you can go through Maine. I just called them about a newer trailer without a title, and they said it was a no-go because it was over 3,000 pounds (unladen weight) and newer than 1995. With that said, the M105A3 is below 3,000 pounds. I believe, though, they were made more recently than 1995. You probably should call a Maine titling company to see what they say.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is older then 15 years old, go to, Cartitles.com, and they can help you out with a bill of sale.

SgtMajHarper

Not sure about your local laws out there, but in a similar situation in Colorado you can call it a "homemade trailer". You fill out some paperwork stating how you made it; where you bought the parts or had parts, the county assigns you a VIN, you get the VIN signed off by the State Troopers VIN inspector that you either marked it or placed the VIN on right and then pay for your plates. It's the easiest way around all that bureaucracy out here in the wild west. I had a couple guys tell me that I sure made a fine looking homemade trailer, looked factory.....I took their praise in stride.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it is older...say before 1995...you can go through Maine. I just called them about a newer trailer without a title, and they said it was a no-go because it was over 3,000 pounds (unladen weight) and newer than 1995. With that said, the M105A3 is below 3,000 pounds. I believe, though, they were made more recently than 1995. You probably should call a Maine titling company to see what they say.
I have used this route many times and recommend it.
Notice there are 2 Maine companies with almost the same url that specialize in this with slightly different pricing so do your home work.
I recommend this one:

Buck Wampum

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For titling vehicles here in PA, I've been told they will not accept a vehicle for titling/registration unless it already has a title or a transferable registration. I bought a 1969 V-100 armored car in NY that had never been on the road. I had bill of sale but no NY reg. NY does not title vehicles made prior to 1975, instead they have a transferable registration.

So, if I want to title it here in PA, I have to have a friend register it in NY (they will register it on a bill of sale and you need a weight slip and insurance) and get a transferable NY registration. Then I can take that paperwork here to PA and get it titled. You didn't say what state your trailer came from, but using a friend in another state might work.

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess my question is, then how does he do it? Or, do they just use dealer plates? Dave... @country? inquiring minds want to know. :p

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Colonel Sanders never gave away his recipe- did he? :)
Well in 1964 he sold it to an investment group...that's kind of giving it away...well he never kept it.
I don't think anyone would really want it, to much crusty coating on it and grease.
...and isn't that comparing, chicken and vehicles anyway? 🤪

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks