• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No tubo whine

Fuzydog

Test drove a deuce and there was no turbo whine. This is the first one I have been in in 15+ years. I assume this was the "D" model engine because it did have a turbo and I have seen others say something about no or less whine. However, just to make sure I don't sink myself in something with a bad turbo, can anyone confirm the turbo cannot be heard? I had the truck up to about 50 and never heard a thing. The truck started and ran fine so I do not suspect the turbo is locked up.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you did see the turbo it's almost certainly a "D" (some "C's" are quieter than most though).

Last edited:

wsucougarx

Whistler sounds great during idle and revs. Not sure if I would want one at highway speeds;) Out of the 5 deuces I have owned, I have not come across a whistler as of yet.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A truck with a locked up turbo will start and run. Just smokes a little more and has less power. Turbo on mine was locked up when I bought it, and it started spinning about 20 min after driving it. It has worked fine ever since.

Last edited:

Travis89xj

I had D and C turbo trucks. If it was a C you would know and yes at highway speeds it starts to get old. My D truck, like velociT said, I might hear a little at idle but not really anything while driving

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I assume this was the "D" model engine
The -c or -d in the engine model(on the engine data plate) does not indicate or designate which turbo is installed on the engine. It is simply designating the version of the engine.

steelandcanvas

The -c or -d in the engine model(on the engine data plate) does not indicate or designate which turbo is installed on the engine. It is simply designating the version of the engine.
Just what is the difference between "c" and "d" models of engines. If we have those, do we "a" and "b" models also? Educate me.

wsucougarx

Exactly what Eric said. In fact my '86 M35A2C has a 1C engine but a non-whistler turbo. So the 1C or 1D engine designation does not appear to impact the type of turbo you may have. I have seen plenty of 1D engines with whistlers at GL

sandcobra164

Mine only whined occasionally until I turned the fuel up. Now it whines whenever you press the diesel pedal down in 4th or 5th. I only turned it up a little, just a light puff of black smoke when pressing the accelerator at idle. Runs like a completely different truck though.

Oddly enough, I could hear mine when I was on the way home on the recovery but when I drove it a couple of days ago, I can't hear it anymore.

Also, it seems to have bursts of power (well, "burst" is a strong term).

Anyone heard of a turbo intermittently locking up? Seems like those bearings would not spin once they seize. I treat her right and let it warm up, cool off as directed by Dr. TM.

Maybe it's time for a turbo inspection.

I gotta say, I test drove a truck with a Whistler and since I drive with mild hearing protection (and live in the boonies) and I wouldn't be shy to put one on if my D turbo is T.U.

stumps

C-turbo's whistle up, and down in pitch every time you move the pedal. .. there is no mistaking their whistle. It isn't subtle at all. If your D-turbo was whistling, and now doesn't, perhaps it had some junk stuck to the turbine that has cleared itself off?

-Chuck

Farmun

When I took my Deuce (C-turbo whistler) to the in-laws the first time, the first thing out of my father-in-laws mouth was..."What's that noise? Sounds like you have a bearing going out." He still thinks I have a bad bearing somewhere....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had a bunch of each turbos on different trucks. At highway speed I can't tell a difference. I've also had different "C" turbos with completely different pitches and sounds. My old M275A2 was probably twice as shrill as the "C" just installed on my M35A2C ("D" turbo removed).

Reactions: emr

Barrman

I will second what Kenny wrote about his "shrill" C turbo. It hurt my ears and he was still a mile away climbing the mountain to the '07 GA Rally. My C turbo is tolerable in the truck, but can be heard for 100's of yards away when the truck is at idle.

The D model can be heard when you shift gears. Here is a video Colton took of me driving Kwai's D turbo'd M109 onto I-10 at Ft. Stockton after we picked up the truck in Las Cruses:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SPnXv4Vdwg[/media]

You can hear the whine just a little between 4th and 5th.

Pistolnut bought a C turbo truck that had been sitting for years. It idled and moved around, but never out of 1st gear while we got it ready to drive home. We never heard the turbo and not knowing then the physical differences, just figured it was a D. This was in the fall of 2005. I was following him as he started home. About 5 miles into the drive which he had not been able to get above about 30 mph, I saw a puff of smoke not related to gear shifting and through the rolled up windows of his Ford truck, the whine started to wind up. The hair on my arms did too. He was able to grab 5th, reach 56 mph and that thing whistled the rest of the way home. So, yes they can be stuck and even though they don't put out much boost, a non working turbo plugs things up so not much speed can be achieved.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a video of the M108 with a C turbo. You can here the whistle pretty good at the end.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMuvltBG9d4[/media]