• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

no turn signals

archer67

my turn signals stop working today after a short drive. I am working on getting my duece an the road. When i got the truck it did not have a flasher or a turn signal switch so i put a used switch and a new flasher on everything worked but one light, changed the bulb everything worked great. I took the truck for a ride through some corn fields and hay lots when i got home no turn signals. i let it sit for a few hours tried it again each light lit even the on on the switch but no blinking. Thats when i heard some sizzling ans saw smoke coming from the flasher. after a quick check all the wires around the flasher and switch looked good, almost new no cracks or bare spots.

I plan on checking the TMs and trouble shooting tonight does anyone know which ones? also anything obvious i am over looking? I did notice that the ground to the flasher was a little loose. Should I use a different bolt other than one of the ones that hold the flasher to the firewall for the ground?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is, unfortunately, not uncommon. Your flasher unit is likely now fried and you will need yet another one. My theory of electronics: They function magically by grey smoke contained in the electronic components. If you do something stupid and cause the grey smoke to leak out, the electronics won't work anymore.

It seems that grounding the flasher is sometimes iffy and can cause the flasher to malfunction or burn out; I recommend running the flasher's ground wire to the firewall for a reliable ground (it is normally grounded on the fender). Use star washers that really dig into the metal to ensure the ground is good.

Also check the turn signal switch itself; it is grounded on the steering column by the worm clamp. Ensure that this ground is good.

Last edited:

197thhhc

It definately sounds like a ground issue. You really have to ground the flasher wire well. You have to go down to bear metal. Cattle repairman is probably correct. If you let the smoke out, it probably wont work.

randygk

This is, unfortunately, not uncommon. Your flasher unit is likely now fried and you will need yet another one. My theory of electronics: They function magically by grey smoke contained in the electronic components. If you do something stupid and cause the grey smoke to leak out, the electronics won't work anymore.

It seems that grounding the flasher is sometimes iffy and can cause the flasher to malfunction or burn out; I recommend running the flasher's ground wire to the firewall for a reliable ground (it is normally grounded on the fender). Use star washers that really dig into the metal to ensure the ground is good.

Also check the turn signal switch itself; it is grounded on the steering column by the worm clamp. Ensure that this ground is good.
Awhile back my ham radio magazine had an article on April 1 about a kit made for reinstalling the smoke to make the component function again.

63C20

I have a similar problem, my turn signals worked fine last week, today not so much, the light on the turn signal lever stays on, the turn lights do nothing. My question is: Will a burned out filament disable the whole system ? Or do I need to break out Mr. Multimeter and end up probably replacing the flasher unit ? Thanks in advance !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks