• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No voltage to starter

IMA944T

Went to start and flipped main switch. Lights bells and whistles all came on but when start button pushed nothing happened. Have misplaced wiring schematic I had, so I removed start button and jumped across wires. Nothing happened. It does have voltage to one side when in neutral position. Check voltage to starter solenoid wire when button is pushed, but nothing and have no voltage to battery cable at starter either. What da heck is going on?

DieselBob

whats the dif between A2 and A3. mine is 1970 A2
The "A3" is the last model of the deuce and had the cat engine and auto transmission. Thought it might have been a “A3” because of your comment about it having voltage in neutral. I haven't run across a “A2” with a neutral safety switch before. Not sure how you could have anything working if there is no voltage at the battery connection at the starter unless someone has done some custom wiring because the positive cable from the batteries should go directly to the connection at the starter and supplies power for all the electrical systems either directly or through the master switch. With the master switch on and the low air buzzer on does the buzzer quit when you press the start button ?

IMA944T

yes the solenoid is on the pass side of block. After further checking I do have 24 volts at the post on top of starter next to block. This post is what I thought was the solenoid. But nooooo. so I guess I most likely have a bad solenoid. They say snow tomorrow too, That sucks. Will have to pull it tomorrow, does anybody have any easy fixes other than replacing? Can it be rebuilt?

IMA944T

The "A3" is the last model of the deuce and had the cat engine and auto transmission. Thought it might have been a “A3” because of your comment about it having voltage in neutral. I haven't run across a “A2” with a neutral safety switch before. Not sure how you could have anything working if there is no voltage at the battery connection at the starter unless someone has done some custom wiring because the positive cable from the batteries should go directly to the connection at the starter and supplies power for all the electrical systems either directly or through the master switch. With the master switch on and the low air buzzer on does the buzzer quit when you press the start button ?
When I said neutral position I meant the push button in normal position. Not pushed in, Sorry about that.

212sparky

sometimes the copper disk in the solenoid on top of the starter gets pitted and corroded so it wont conduct nicely. You can open it and clean the disk, try jumping past the solenoid and check the motor to see if it spins.

DieselBob

I see the solenoid now that it started to irritate me and I went and looked further. Is it like normal car solenoid, batt hot in solenoid hot out, with one wire that activate solenoid.
Yes the magnetic relay on the block works just like the solenoid on a car starter. The small wire on the top terminal is from the starter button in the cab.

IMA944T

Sometimes I feel stupid. Went outside and found solenoid, checked wires connections and then used aux start switch so I could hold solenoid engaged and lightly tapped on it. Varoooommm. Has anybody had one stick? Only drive truck evry two or three months sometimes. I will carry my start switch and my tapping bar tomorrow when I hpoefully driving in the 8 inches of snow they say is poss for Oklahoma City area. THANKS for the help and suggestions.

DieselBob

It's easy to skip right past the easy things sometimes. Glad to hear you know what the issue is. One thing to check also would be the mounting bolts for it. The relay grounds through the mount to the block unless someone put a ground wire on it. Your tapping might have completed a bad ground or like you said it might just be sticking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks